Top 5 Reasons Cats End Up in Shelters — and How to Avoid These Problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, May 28, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

By Dr. Marty Becker

[​IMG]

My career as a veterinarian - and really, my entire life - has been all about celebrating what I call "The Bond," that amazing connection we have with our pets. But even as I've made a life's work out of The Bond, I am keenly aware that it sometimes breaks, landing pets in shelters where they hope for new homes.

The good news is that progressive shelters are making tremendous leaps forward when it comes to re-homing pets in need. The success of Maddie's Pet Adoption Days - with almost 8,000 pets nationwide placed in forever homes over a single weekend - highlights the amazing work that the shelter and rescue communities are doing these days.

But despite this positive news about pet adoptions, cats are still among the hardest animals to place in new homes. Fortunately, there's good news for the felines too: The shelter community is studying the reasons cats are given up, with an eye to helping pet owners solve the problems that cause them to surrender their cats - or, ideally, to avoid those problems in the first place.

https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/top-5-reasons-cats-end-shelters-avoid-problems-133100548.html

Trellum, May 28, 2014
Ask a Question