Thinking about breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by catlover2, Oct 10, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Ok so I am thinking about getting a female Maine Coon and breeding George and RIngo with her. What do you think about that? I would love to have a baby in the house again and Maine COons are just perfect that I should not have any trouble giving the rest away. What do you think?

catlover2, Oct 10, 2010
  2. catlover2

Gemz New Member

Sound great i breed sometimes it sounds easy but can be hard work when ya come from work and they wreak the place lol
    But in the end it is worth it i wouldn't give them away tho someone that pays for one can afford to keep it.

:)

Gemz, Oct 19, 2010
  3. catlover2

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I agree that breeding is a lot of hard work and it can cost quite some money as well, especially when there are complications with the birth or the health of mother and/or the kittens. You have to be home a lot as well because small kittens need several feedings a day once they start eating solid food. It can be a wonderful experience I guess (I have witnessed kittens being born, but never had a litter of kittens with one of my own cats) but it would be good to get some info first on the things you need to know to make a good home for them.

Yolanda, Nov 24, 2011
  4. catlover2

roxfan003 New Member

Not to be rude or judgmental, but I think it is a bad idea to breed cats. There are already enough stray cats and cats just sitting in shelters as it is. So many are euthanized each day and it's really sad. Breeding more can only add to the problem, even if they are a more rare breed.

roxfan003, Dec 8, 2011
    Belligerent likes this.
  5. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I completely agree. While I love all the beautiful cat breeds, it's important to adopt the cats that don't have a home.. most of these are domestic shorthairs that no one seems to want. :(

Belligerent, Jan 5, 2012
  6. catlover2

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Sounds like they would be very cute! As long as they will have a loving home, go for it!

Wahcashmom, Jan 7, 2012
  7. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

To breed or not to breed. This is a very difficult decision. Yes, there are already just too many cats around. I pick up strays all the time. Yet, sometimes when we have a particularly good cat, we are tempted to see the second generation. Problem is we would be into the third or fourth generation before we realized what we have done.

Victor Leigh, Jan 8, 2012
  8. catlover2

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

My dog (I know, it's a cat forum, but I haven't been overly tempted to do this for any of my cats) is spayed. She's a mixed breed (shiba inu, chow, and German shepherd, we think) and has a very unusual (though beautiful) look. She's really, really red and looks like a fox. Whenever we go out, people ask me what breed of dog she is. I've been tempted to have a blood sample saved for possible cloning purposes. And, yes, I know it wouldn't be her all over again, just another dog that looks like her. But her appearance is so distinctive that that's okay with me.

Wallie0921, Jan 8, 2012
Ask a Question