Should You Own More Than One Cat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, May 28, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

By Dr. Marty Becker | vetstreet.com

[​IMG]

There's something so soothing about cats. I don't know if it's the purr or the fur, but I just love being around them. I know lots of my clients feel that way, too. And if one cat is good, two - or more - must be even better. Right?
    Well, your cat has his own opinion on that matter, and it might not be what you think it is. Way before iconic film star Greta Garbo made the phrase famous, cats were expressing her signature sentiment: "I want to be alone."

We are social animals, so it just seems natural to us that our cats would enjoy having companions, too. With few exceptions, though, wild and domestic cats lead mostly solitary lives. They can get along in groups, but given their druthers, they don't seek out buddies. Before you decide to add a second cat to your family, ask yourself if your cat really needs a friend - and if you are prepared to meet the needs of a multicat household.

Making the Decision
    There are two important things to consider before adding a second cat to your family: your current cat's age and his personality. People often ask me if they should get a kitten to help liven up their older cat. That's probably a senior cat's worst nightmare: his peaceful existence shattered by the antics of a wee ball of energy.

https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/own-more-one-cat-131000675.html

Trellum, May 28, 2014
Ask a Question