Savannahs

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by catlover2, Oct 10, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Savannahs are a larger breed of the domesticated cats. They are very loyal to their owners and will often play fetch with you and can be trained to walk on a lease. They are outgoing and very intelligent cats. They have a great jumping ablility as well.

catlover2, Oct 10, 2010
  2. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

I want a Savannah! They are gorgeous and so playful. I just don't know if I have the time or the energy right now to take care of one. They get really big too so I'm not sure my dogs will appreciate having a large kitty come in. I love going on Youtube and dreaming though. These are some of my favorite Savannah cat videos. Enjoy!

steph84, Nov 29, 2011
  3. catlover2

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Savannahs are gorgeous, and I love how tall and slender they are. But aren't they super expensive? I think I read that one of these beauties costs as much as a car.

ACSAPA, Jul 22, 2012
  4. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Must be a very small car then. I have seen Savannah kittens offered for as little as 200usd. Breeding stock is much more expensive. Somewhere in the region of a few thousand dollars. I think the price has something to do with what they call F1, F2, etc. Not really sure what that means.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  5. catlover2

rara Member

Yes, pricing does have to do with which generation they are away from a fully wild animal. F1 is wild, F2, a bit less, etc. My Bengal is an F4, which is pretty much domesticated. I saw an F2 when I went to the breeder and you could really tell it was wild !! I would not want to own one, even though they are beautiful and stunning animals. I love my little Misha, she is so sweet, but does require a lot of attention and she's so full of energy. I got a super deal on her for actually having the rosettes. The first breeder I went to wanted between $1100 - $1500 for the ones with the rosettes {the round leopard like markings}. The were not even spayed either !! I did not get mine to breed so having her spayed at eight months when I got her was really a nice plus.

rara, Aug 23, 2012
  6. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

I think in the US you have to make sure it is legal to own one in your state too. I would probably get a later generation just because my other cats would not get along with a wilder Savannah. Does anyone on the forum own one? I'd love to see some pix!

steph84, Aug 26, 2012
  7. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I see. So I suppose as they breed further and further away from their wild origins, their markings also get more and more blurred. Is that right? Now if only someone can think of a way of retaining the markings down the generations.

Victor Leigh, Aug 31, 2012
  8. catlover2

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

The F1 and F2 ect means how much of the serval cat they have in them the more serval the more the price I think and the bigger the cat.
    F1 Savannahs can be as high as 75%
    F2 generation ranges from 25%
    The F3 generation has a serval great 12.5% Serval

Leroy and Ava, Sep 20, 2012
  9. catlover2

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

They are beautiful cats and churp to like maine coons:)

Leroy and Ava, Sep 20, 2012
  10. catlover2

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

These are gorgeous cats and I'd love to own one but I'd definitely need more room for one! A friend of mine that I work with adopted one, an F2 I believe, about a year ago and she loves her but unfortunately she's had a lot of unexplained health problems. The cat seems to be allergic to something and goes through bouts of losing her fur and biting herself but the vets can't figure out why. Although she was lucky enough to receive the cat for free, because her friend who breeds them couldn't find anyone to buy the kitten at the time, she's definitely made up for it in the amount of money she's had to pay in vet bills!

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 30, 2012
  11. catlover2

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

So cute! But they look like they would need a lot of space to run around and be tired out!

Scottyxx, Oct 1, 2012
  12. catlover2

Daintipawz Well-Known Member

I would love a Savannah, they are stunning cats.

Daintipawz, Oct 3, 2012
  13. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow, Savannahs are stunning cats! I had read about them, and even seen a couple of pictures, but this cat looked kinda dangerous to me. My boyfriend even joked about the price of it and then added: ''You pay all that to just get killed by your own cat, lol''. At first I believed him, after all that cat looks like a mini cheetah!!! But after watching the videos posted on this thread I don't think this cat is that bad :)

Trellum, Oct 26, 2013
  14. catlover2

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I was wondering what some of the larger breeds of cats, and found this picture of some adorable baby Savannah kittens. What surprised me was (as you can tell from the picture below) even though this may be one of the largest breeds, the Savannah is not the heaviest. The slim physique is quite striking. Just thought, I would share this picture. I mean after all, who can resist an image of kittens!

Oh, I think, I would like a new cat! Please Herman and Eddie, let me add a new member to our family! Don't be surprised, if I come back this summer with a new cat! I mean, after all, I will be in the country, there is going to many farms around with signs that tempt me with FREE KITTENS!

@Trellum Right! There disposition appears to be quite friendly and loyal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Herman&Eddie, Apr 23, 2015
Ask a Question