Ragdolls

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Yolanda, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Love em!

I have never owned a ragdoll in my live, but I really love the breed.
    They are huge and fluffy and most of them can be cradled in your arms like babies.
    Once you pick them up they will let go of their muscle tension causing them to become completely relaxed and mellow. I totally love that trade, so if we ever get a new cat it would be great if he or she is a ragdoll :)

Anyone on this board have one?

Yolanda, Nov 19, 2012
  2. Yolanda

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I have Raggamuffins which are Ragdoll mixes, they do the pick up and flop you talked about.

They are so easy going, and so fluffy they are the best cats in the world. They are cute as hell, and have amazing personalities, so playful and smart, as well as very affectionate and cuddley. They let me do ANYTHING to them, dress them up, feed them pills, tickle them, here's a pic of Pussington looking sad because I dressed her up as Rudolf:

[​IMG]

Scottyxx, Nov 20, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

I love how they look like they don't mind being held and picked up. I just want to hold one and carry it like a baby. I love their coats, but know it is probably tons of work. My long haired cat gets matted all of the time and I groom him daily.

steph84, Nov 21, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  4. Yolanda

Mine LOVE being held like a baby, you can pick them up at any time hold them like a baby and the love it. One will just lay there all day if you let her!

As for their coats, their fur is very soft and fine, and it DOESNT MAT! I never brush mine, because they both hate it, and sometimes they get little bits of poop stuck in their behind (gross!!) but their fur is so soft and straight. Mine do shed quite a bit, but I have never had a cat so I dont know if its more or less than ususal.

Scottyxx, Nov 21, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  5. Yolanda

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect pet. From the descriptions given in this thread, I get the impression that Ragdolls are very good at impersonating stuffed toys. Just curious. Do they know how to catch mice?

Victor Leigh, Nov 25, 2012
  6. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Raggamuffins are so cute as well! I get all jealous reading your stories, LOL! ;-)

Yolanda, Nov 25, 2012
  7. Yolanda

Mine seem to not have that killer instinct. They like to play with things, but don't really attack or destroy them. Like they have toys that are mice, they will chase and pounce on them but they will catch it, it on it, then thats it. Sometimes they chase spiders, but when they eventually catch them, they just hold them in their paws and stare at them! Don't think these cats would be good outside cats at all. If they are anything like my fluff balls!

Scottyxx, Nov 25, 2012
  8. Yolanda

I see. So the mouser gene is more or less been suppressed in the Ragdolls. Still it's good that they are still chasing things. I remember seeing Persians which, once they have become adults, sit really still just like stuffed toys.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
  9. Yolanda

Well my guys are still little, not even 2 years old yet, they say that raggamuffins can take up to four years to reach adulthood. So maybe its a kitten playfulness!

Scottyxx, Nov 26, 2012
  10. Yolanda

I hope they don't really outgrow their kittenhood. Yes, it's easy to look after cats which just sit there like stuffed toys but somehow, for me, cats should not be that inactive.

Victor Leigh, Nov 27, 2012
  11. Yolanda

yes, I love playing with my guys! They are not the best at catching the toys, but they enjoy a good play (especially when it is bed time!)

Scottyxx, Dec 10, 2012
  12. Yolanda

tajnz Well-Known Member

:) Oh wow, I've heard that ragdolls are really friendly but I've never actually talked to someone who owned one. Thanks for letting us know a bit more about their temperaments Scotty. I'll defintely consider ragdolls as a breed when I'm ready to adopt another cat. Pussington looks adorable dressed up as a Reindeer too.

tajnz, Dec 14, 2012
  13. Yolanda

They are cutie pies! They almost have a personality more like dogs, I would recommend them to anyone! I really dont think it gets cuter than my fluffballs!

Scottyxx, Dec 14, 2012
  14. Yolanda

Trellum Well-Known Member

I was just googling this breed, I must say this breed is one of the most stunning ones I've ever seen so far! I'm actually surprised there are so many different cat breeds out there! I mean... I'm getting amazed and surprised at the variety of cat breeds there are out there everytime I come to this forum! Anyways, here are some of the pictures I found of this cat (for future reference):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sister had one that looked like this (but I had no idea it was a ragdoll mix!):
    [​IMG]

Trellum, Oct 26, 2013
  15. Yolanda

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, I am fascinated with this topic on the breed of ragdoll cats! Thanks, for the pictures!!!! Look at those blue eyes. Now, I am really wondering, if our long lost pet, Powder, was a ragdoll breed. She was just so gentle, soft, and really did melt in our arms when picked up. She always let my daughter dress her up and had these same beautiful blue eyes. I am going to go through our old picture box and post a picture. Maybe, someone can tell me, if indeed she was a ragdoll. She certainly was my daughters little rag doll for years!

Herman&Eddie, Mar 30, 2015
Ask a Question