Pregnancy and cat litter...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by magickat, Feb 7, 2012.

1. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

I read that it can be dangerous to clean out the litter trays when you are pregnant. Has anyone else come across this and if so how did you deal with it? If I wore disposable gloves and washed my hands thoroughly afterwards with an antibacterial soap would that be OK?

magickat, Feb 7, 2012
  2. magickat

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

3. magickat

amy005 Well-Known Member

I talked to my doctor about this while I was pregnant. She said as long as I wore gloves I could safely clean out the kitty box. I first thought it had to do with breathing in the odors but that was not the case. You should be totally fine magickat as long as you always wear your gloves. Also, congrats on the pregnancy!

amy005, Feb 8, 2012
  4. magickat

Thanks guys, some great advice there, and thanks for the good wishes Amy :)

magickat, Feb 8, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  5. magickat

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Magickat!

You can get tested for toxoplasmosis antibodies. If you have the IgG antibody, you have already fought off toxoplasmosis successfully and, from what I can find, your immune system will protect your baby.

Wallie0921, Feb 9, 2012
  6. magickat

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Magickat! There is a whole lot of info here I didn't know about yet either. I knew there were dangers involved, but not exactly what they were (touching the litter, inhaling the odours, etc). I am glad that there are so many people here who do know so you'll get some solid advice.

Yolanda, Feb 11, 2012
  7. magickat

Yes there is certainly a lot of good advice here and it seems that with sensible precautions I should be fine. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful comments.

magickat, Feb 11, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  8. magickat

Trellum Well-Known Member

Truth is I rather not have a cat when I get pregnant, because some kitties actually like to dig in their own... well, you know! My Bob doesn't do that, but I think that I'll let him in my mom's place if he is still around when I get pregnant. Just to be 100% safe. I'll get him back once I give birth.

Trellum, Mar 12, 2015
Ask a Question