Pet costs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

A very interesting info graph showing the average annual costs of owning a pet. Very interesting!

[​IMG]

Trellum, Aug 28, 2015
  2. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Wow this really is a very interesting article and one that should be posted wherever people are
    going to adopt a pet. People have to realize before they get an animal how much it is going to
    cost to have one. Far too many get pets only to realize that they can't afford their care and then
    they get rid of the animal. If you are going to give an animal a forever home you need to be aware
    of the costs associated with being a pet owner.

Susan Brown, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Trellum

That is true. I hope a lot people comes across this info graph. More people need to be aware of the real costs associated with having pets. Maybe less pets would end up homeless.

Trellum, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

That is so true. Some people get them and they can't afford them and they just let them outside.
    Around here people are bad for just driving out in the country somewhere are throwing them out.
    That is so cruel. I will never understand people like that. If they can be so mean to animals then
    they could be as mean to children. They don't get attached and they don't care!

Susan Brown, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Trellum

I feel the exact same way about the monsters who kill animals... I know a guy who poisoned all the cats from my neighborhood, sadly I could do nothing because where I am living now (went back to live with my mother - I am ill) they don't care about animals, killing cats is not a punishable crime! So, those monsters who do that... I bet they would do the same to humans too... if they knew they could get away with it!

Trellum, Sep 1, 2015
  6. Trellum

Byron nelson Active Member

I had no idea of what a big dog cost when I got my first big German Shepherd. The initial cost was more than I had paid for several cars. He was an East German import probably smuggled out as the wall had not come down yet. Then 75 mile each way to beginning training even for a pup. Shortly after a few trips I began building and purchasing training equipment. Then travel and training seminars mounted up. I didn’t keep track of these as I was learning as much as possible and applying it. I had over $1000,. In collars and custom leashes pretty quickly. Then after about a year 8nbegan purchasing protection training equipment as I had passed the beginner tests for this. We are and tear mounted up on this stuff too. At that time you only had club dues of $100 a year. Protection helpers weren’t paid much beyond occasional dinner. Then I got hurt very badly insurance paid for a lot but it was a life long injury so even today I’m still paying for it. Then there were longer training schools and seminars. I went to Europe several time and that was very expensive. I think our first trial was about $100 but we passed and I was happy. Further trials and tests cost more but we traveled extensively too so these costs added up. I spen5 more on ER visits then m6 dog was injured in a trial. Even with an injury he passed the trial so the dog had some of my competition drive. Playing hurt. Not sure how the dog sees this but he responded to commands even though he was working very hard yet injured. He finally passed away afte4' a long and apparently good life. I’ll never forget him nor what he taught me. I miss him every day. I now have a new pet that is being a great comfort to me. She is also living where cost is not an object.. I’ve already spen5 the cost of a car but I’m not supposed to drive anyway. So we may go to just a leash and harness possibly bicycle . Slower pace living.

Byron

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Byron nelson, Jul 10, 2021
  7. Trellum

catalone Member

Just food for my cats. All seven of them. As a pensioner with seven.... As we are on a small island there is no need to vaccinate etc. And they are a sturdy healthy lot...

catalone, Sep 11, 2021
Ask a Question