Persians

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by catlover2, Oct 10, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Persians cats originated in Greater Iran. They have a long face with longer hair. they also have short legs and a short muzzle. they live between 10 to 15 years and are prone to breathing difficulties due to their muzzles.

catlover2, Oct 10, 2010
  2. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Persians are quiet cats. They tend to need to be brushed since they have long thick hair. If you do not brush them they tend to mat. If they mat you may have to give your cat a lion cut.

catlover2, Oct 10, 2010
  3. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

These cats are my mother's favorite, but they are such high maintenance. That fur! I have a long haired cat and it is just too much work. I have to brush his hair more than I brush my own. He looks nice and proper, but I look wild! Does anyone own a Persian cat? If so, please post pictures! I really love Persian kitties too! So cute!

steph84, Feb 1, 2012
  4. catlover2

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I love Persians! I've personally never had one but I took care of my sisters one time. He was so sweet!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 4, 2012
  5. catlover2

I just noticed catlover2's comment on matting. Do you have any suggestions for dematting other than getting the crazy lion's haircut? My longhaired cat has matting and I bought a defurrer brush, but he still has wild knotting.

steph84, Feb 8, 2012
  6. catlover2

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I did a little digging and it looks like a cornstarch-based baby powder might do the trick. Let us know if it works.

Wallie0921, Feb 9, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  7. catlover2

Really Wallie? I have never heard of that before. I guess I gotta pick up my baby powder the next time I'm at Target. Thanks for the tip! I'll post some before and after pictures if it works.

steph84, Feb 10, 2012
  8. catlover2

Yolanda Well-Known Member

The dry shampoo from Gimpet I used smells a lot like baby powder and is especially for cats. If it has a lot of the same ingredients that might work too. However, if cornstarch based baby powder works just as well I wouldn't bother getting the dry shampoo. It sounds wonderful though. I had persians as a kid but not all of them were pure bred, that's why some of them had a pointier nose which looked rather nice and it also prevented them from having breathing difficulties or gooey eyes.

Yolanda, Feb 10, 2012
  9. catlover2

Shole Member

I like those fuzzy cats :D I wish I had one but I didn't find anyone who can give me one :(

Shole, Feb 15, 2012
  10. catlover2

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

qwite cats haha my Dudley never shuts up :p
    and my Ava has Chinccila Persian in her aswell as maine coon and She has 1 hell of a voice on her too XD! Funny thing is to Ava name meaning is Voice.:)
    [​IMG]
    Ava and Dudley.
    [​IMG]
    Dudley
    [​IMG]
    Ava.

Leroy and Ava, Dec 14, 2012
  11. catlover2

Jessi Well-Known Member

I used to absolutely love Persians. I was always so excited when Cat Fancy would feature them and I loved looking at the pictures. Nowadays, though, I really don't have any particular interest in the breed.

Jessi, Dec 27, 2012
  12. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

Persian cats are beautiful, I love how fluffy they are, but their faces don't convince me that much :p There is something about those faces that isn't appealing at all for me... but the rest of the cat is amazing :) Specially the white ones, those look really beautiful! For some reason their features don't look as strange as the ones of a yellow or multi colored persian cat. Here is what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the huge difference?

Trellum, Oct 23, 2013
  13. catlover2

You get different types of Persian cat...There is doll faced,the one with the mustash is peked faced or also knowen as flat faced...you also get himalayan persian cat,excsotic persian cat and Chinccila.

My Ava is maine coon X chinccila persian and Dudley is flat faced...

Ava

1385379_235565253270997_581957920_n.jpg

Leroy and Ava, Oct 23, 2013
    Trellum and Becky like this.
  14. catlover2

Dudley
    Picture 114.jpg

15. catlover2

I think all the persian cats r stunning!...and I really love the flat faced persian! :)

16. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ava! I wasn't certain there were different types of persian cats, but I assumed that given the fact some had ''doll faces'' and others had flat ones :p Thanks for sharing your pictures, both varieties are nice :) I still like the ''doll faced'' one the most, I'd love to get a white one!

Trellum, Oct 26, 2013
  17. catlover2

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I had a Persian. Her name was Sassy. She was absolutely beautiful. She was rescued from a puppy mill. The place that had her kept her and the male cat locked up in a lobster cage and just bred them constantly. She survived but the male cat wasn't so lucky. By the time they raided the place it was too late for him. When they took Sassy to the vet they said that they didn't know how many litters of kittens she had but that her uterus was paper thin. She had a lot of health problems and a lot of trust issues because she never knew what it felt like to be picked up or cuddled. It use to break my heart when she would sit off in a corner by herself and just look at me. She never wanted to come near. I knew what she had been through so I was very patient and let her have her space. Over time she began to realize that we would never hurt her and that she was safe with us. She came a long way after we rescued her. She would never let you pick her up but she would come up and lay beside you on the couch or sleep at the foot of the bed. When she got sick and passed away I was devastated. She didn't live a long life but I knew that she wouldn't because of all the pain and suffering she had went through in her early life. I am glad I was given the chance to show her a good, loving home even if it wasn't for a long time. I think of her often and still miss her so much. <3

Susan Brown, Jul 23, 2015
Ask a Question