Manx cats

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by SheWolfSilver, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I am so guilty of wanting one of these but now that I know the health risk I am so ashamed of myself! Bella is only part Manx so I'm hoping the genetic defects of the Manx won't effect her.

[​IMG]

Manx Syndrome is a normally fatal defect caused by the so-called Manx gene, which causes the taillessness. The gene's action in shortening the spine may go too far, resulting in severe spinal defects--a gap in the last few vertebrae, fused vertebrae, or spina bifida in newborns. If there is no obvious problem with a Manx Syndrome kitten at birth, the difficulties will show up in the first few weeks or months of the cat's life, usually in the first four weeks, but sometimes as late as four months. It is often characterized by severe bowel and/or bladder dysfunction, or by extreme difficulty in walking.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 28, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Considering the genetical defects of the Manx, does anyone else think that it would be more humane to totally stop the breeding of the Manx?

Victor Leigh, Feb 29, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I definitely do! I think any breeding that results in genetic defects should be stopped!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 29, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

So how do we get this thing rolling? Is there some kind of website where we can start a petition? Now that we are on the subject of breeding that results in genetic defects, maybe we should also look into the advisability of allowing certain type of politicians to breed.

Victor Leigh, Feb 29, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

blackcapped Active Member

This is a very interesting discussion for me to stumble upon. While I see the ethical grounds for your argument and potential petition, I do not personally believe that we should discontinue the breeding of manx cats.

My family owned a manx cat named Emily who lived for eighteen years. She was gray with a white chest and had the silky texture of fur that many max cats are renowned for. Emily was a very beautiful cat, to say the least. Born in 1990, she died in 2008 peacefully and of old age. She was always healthy and friendly. Based purely from personal experience, I think the manx breed is stunning.

blackcapped, Jul 16, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

Yes, Manx cats are good cats. I have had at least one. Not exactly purebred. More like the odd man out in a litter of tailed kittens. The first one I had I named him Hitler. His body is a bit short and it's quite hilarious to watch him trying to mate with a standard-sized tabby. The difference in body length makes it rather difficult to get things into the right place.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

Trellum Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the Manx cats are vanishing, maybe it's due this rare genetic defect? Gosh, I wanted a Manx too, but after reading this I'm not sure at all. How sad :( They're wonderful cats!

Trellum, May 2, 2015
Ask a Question