Is your cat/dog fat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Wondering if your dog or cat is fat? Then take a look at this very nice and informative info graph. It did open my eyes! This info graph is very clear, just in case you have doubts regarding to your cat or dog.

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jul 14, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  2. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My older cat, Harley Waffles is overweight. He is a big cat not just weight wise but overall. He stands really tall. He weighs about 20 lbs. He always thinks that he is starving. When I feed him I have to make sure that he doesn't eat the other cat's food because he would clean out both dishes if you allowed him to. My other cat, Merle, is at an ideal weight. He is not a big eater and he is very active. He never stops. He is on the go all the time. Unlike, Harley, who spends most of his time sleeping. Of course Harley is 9 years old and Merle is only 2 so that makes a difference in their activity level.

Susan Brown, Jul 15, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  3. Trellum

Aww, poor Harley! Has he always been overweight or everything started recently when he got older? I have seen that happen to both cats and people, lol. People and cats tend to gain weight easier once they get older. My in laws' cat is 8 or so years old, he is very active but also overweight. I'm amazed he can still catch mice in the fields, lol.

Trellum, Jul 16, 2015
  4. Trellum

We adopted him when he was 4 and he was big then. Maybe not as overweight as he is now. He is about 9 years old now. He doesn't get a whole lot of exercise. He mostly likes to lay in the window and enjoy the sun. Except when he hears a cat of food being opened and then you should see him run. lol

Susan Brown, Jul 17, 2015
  5. Trellum

icekat Active Member

Our eldest, Oreo was like that in his younger days. He topped the scales for awhile at 22 pounds. He was big and muscular, but most of it was just pure fat! :D He was so addicted to food that once after my daughter had disposed of a rubber glove, he dragged it out of the trash and ate it!! (She had been wearing it to make meat patties). Our poor baby had to have 4 inches of his intestine removed, to get the glove out! :(
    That was 3 years ago, and the "bypass surgery" didn't seem to help much.He's still chunky, although probably due to his age, he has slowed down a lot on his food intake.

icekat, Jul 19, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  6. Trellum

Damn, that sounds like a really shocking story!!! Poor thing, how did you know something was wrong? Poor thing, after that incident I'd expect him to slow down as well! Getting 4 inches of his intestine removed can't be easy for a kitty. I hope he is feeling better and happier than ever :)

Trellum, Aug 2, 2015
    icekat likes this.
  7. Trellum

Lol awwww, it sounds like he is living a really good life :) I wish my Bob was that calm and just lied by the window enjoying its warmth .) It sounds like such an appeasing sight :) It relaxes me just to think of that. We need bigger windows sills :p Maybe in the new house.

Trellum, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Trellum

icekat Active Member

It was so scary Trellum! He started vomiting and couldn't eat! When I took him to the vet, the vet thought he had some kind of obstruction, so he did x-rays, thank God! It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Our vet said he had NEVER treated a cat who had ingested a foreign object before. He said he had only treated dogs for that stuff, and he's been a vet for 30+ years! Thanks for the well wishes. Oreo is fit as a fiddle now. He's older, so he's not as big and husky as he once was, but he still loves his food! :D

icekat, Aug 4, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  9. Trellum

Awww!! Well, at least you took him to the vet on time :) Poor Oreo, it must have been such a scary experience not knowing what was going on! And, lol, yes, it's more common to see this in dogs, because they are such a bunch of mindless eaters :O I know because we had a dog who would eat anything you threw at her at the speed of the ray.

Trellum, Aug 5, 2015
    icekat likes this.
  10. Trellum

tajnz Well-Known Member

No my cat Slinky gets quite a lot of exercise wandering around our back yard and climbing on our fence ha ha and is quite healthy. However, growing up one of my childhood dogs was a little over weight as she suffered from Cushing's disease. Her poor tummy was bloated looking.

tajnz, Sep 12, 2015
  11. Trellum

Wow that must have been very scary. I had a friend whose cat ate one of those knee hi (nylons) and it wrapped all around his intestines.
    They ended up having to put him to sleep. It was so sad!

Susan Brown, Sep 15, 2015
  12. Trellum

kathycat12 Member

My cat is the number 3 position. 3 times per day is just enough for me to feed them and they get used to it.

kathycat12, Sep 8, 2018
Ask a Question