How many of you have cat's who you think are suicidal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by christy sharpton, Nov 23, 2011.

1. christy sharpton

christy sharpton Active Member

My cat Tweety bird, seems to be sucidal I think. It seems as if everyday, she has a new cut or gash on her and I can't figure out how she get's the cuts. I think she may have a anxiety problem, can cats have aniexty problems?

christy sharpton, Nov 23, 2011
  2. christy sharpton

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I don't know about cats being suicidal but they definitely can have anxiety problems. Something as simple as rearranging the furniture can cause them stress. Cat anxiety is primarily caused by stress in their environment. I suggest you watch Tweety Birds every move for a day or two, if that's possible, and see what she is getting into and possibly playing near or with that may be the cause of the injuries.

Micheleteresa, Nov 23, 2011
    magickat and Yolanda like this.
  3. christy sharpton

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

In my experience, anxiety usually shows itself with pooping and peeing outside the box or obsessive grooming. Can you lock up specific parts of your home (closing doors, installing baby gates, etc.) to see where she's injuring herself?

Wallie0921, Nov 23, 2011
  4. christy sharpton

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I agree with Wallie that locking of parts of your house can give you more insight to where she gets the cuts. If you believe that she might actually damage herself, it would be a good idea to pay a visit to your pet (or when the cuts need a look after, of course). I don't know about cats being suicidal, but anxiety issues are indeed possible for cats like Micheletheresa and Wallie already said as well. If he does have an anxiety problem, a feliway vaporizer can be a great help. We use it for our cat DJ easily gets stressed out and over-grooms herself which gives her bald spots. If you manage on using this I would talk to your VET first, even though you can purchase it in lots of pet stores and online without a prescription.

Yolanda, Nov 26, 2011
  5. christy sharpton

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Yeah, see a vet if you think your cat is having behavioural issues. You can also try to remedy them yourself depending on what's stressing out your cat. You might just have an adventurous cat who gets hurt a lot.

If your cat has any underlying pain due to undiagonosed medical issues, this could be causing issues too. Is your cat an indoor cat? Make sure she has plenty of high places to climb (great for cats and their peace of mind) and be sure the diet is squared away too. A raw diet can do a lot both nutritionally but also psychologically. Naturally, make sure your cat is getting plenty of love and affection too. She's not caged all day or anything is she?

MaxKitteh, Nov 28, 2011
  6. christy sharpton

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Out of the 6 cats that we have, most of mine are all wild cats and push to the limit. They love to jump from trees, climb trees, gets cuts and goes wild running in front of our cars. I love them, but they are wild cats sometimes.

Wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
  7. christy sharpton

magickat Well-Known Member

I have had a cat who seemed very depressed for a while, she would just lie about and lost interest in food and play. I think perhaps she was bored too as since we moved house she has been fine. I'm not sure I have ever heard of cats being suicidal - perhaps it is more that your cat is clumsy or careless. I would certainly take her to your vet to try and work out what is going on.

magickat, Dec 1, 2011
  8. christy sharpton

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problem like that with any of the cats that I have. Except for one which literally committed suicide by running under the wheels of a passing car. Maybe it might be an idea to keep your cat caged for a while until its injuries are fully healed. It could have got hurt from fighting with other cats, too.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
  9. christy sharpton

amy005 Well-Known Member

My cat has never seemed suicidal or to have any anxiety. I think if your cat is an outdoor cat then the scratches and cuts are easily explained. My cat always shows up with that type of thing as well but he is an outdoor cat so I don't think anything of it. I know he runs around and could be injured from prickly plants too.

amy005, Dec 20, 2011
  10. christy sharpton

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I do not think I have ever heard the term suicidal in relation to cats or any pets for that matter. Depression, sickness, lonliness, or anxiety attacks maybe.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 30, 2012
  11. christy sharpton

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Perhaps you have not seen cats that walk right into the path of passing cars. That should qualify as suicidal, wouldn't it?

Victor Leigh, Feb 2, 2012
  12. christy sharpton

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah, cats walking right into the path of passing cars!!! That is a new one for me! To be honest I have never or heard of such a thing... to me cats are like dogs, but less goofy. So I could never think of them as suicidal... I could never do that with a dog! But I guess it can happen.

Trellum, Apr 8, 2015
  13. christy sharpton

Eva Active Member

I had a stud male that did get run over . My country house is on a very busy highway and I called him at five AM. He was so eager to eat and come home he just got hit. Nobody told me. When I saw his little body I just couldn’t believe it . He died alone I was SO incredibly sad he was the best most beautiful and affectionate cat. Sometimes I think letting them run free is dangerous but they will always choose freedom over jail …long grass over carpets.

Eva, Jul 15, 2024
Ask a Question