How many kittens do cats usually have?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by catlover2, Sep 17, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

I have never had a pregnant cat, and do not really know how many kitties they usually give birth to. My friends cat is pregnant and she is not knowing what she is going to do with all the cats if there are alot. I said I would take one, and she said she could keep one, but is nervous about giving them away in case they go to bad homes. Would it be possible for the cat to only have two kitties?

catlover2, Sep 17, 2010
  2. catlover2

catforumchat Member

most litters are between 4-5. well thats what i know from the women i bought my british blue from :p

catforumchat, Sep 18, 2010
  3. catlover2

pafjlh Well-Known Member

The average litter is around 4-5 although some cats have been known to have more. Pepper when she had her second litter had six. However, of those six only two that I know of survived. One died at childbirth, another died six weeks later and as for the other two, I really don't know since Pepper was still a stray at that time. She had her kittens at our home but because it was the heat of summer took them else where to nurse them. When the kittens returned there were three left, this was after extreme heat temperature and terrible storms. No telling what happened during that time.

Anyway, this was the second littler Pepper had, and her last since we have since had her Spade. Her first littler she didn't have at our home we only knew of three from that littler. Of those three only two survived, again one died around six weeks old. Apparently the first few months for a kitten are vital to their survival or at least this is what I have witnessed.

pafjlh, Dec 16, 2014
  4. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

I've seen cat litters of even 6 little kitties :O Cats tend to have big families, but I've heard of older cats only having 2 little kitties, that is kinda strange tho. Most of my cats were neutered on time, so I haven't really experienced this with cats, but one of my cats was from a big litter of cats, who belonged to my dad's boss.

Trellum, Apr 30, 2015
  5. catlover2

AnnaBanana Member

When my peaches got older, her last few litters were only two or so kittens. Prior to that, she'd have four to five kittens per litter. It is interesting to think that maybe genetics have some role in how many kittens will come in a litter, it makes sense, but I'm not educated on that subject.

AnnaBanana, Jul 21, 2016
  6. catlover2

Goodman Member

A fеlinе littеr usuаlly соnsists оf twо tо fivе kittеns. Yоung саt mоthеr, оr а first timе mоthеr саn еxpесt tо hаvе аrоund 2 tо 3 kittеns. аt 3 tо 4 yеаrs оld а саt will bе mоrе likеly tо hаvе аrоund 4 tо 5 kittеns pеr littеr. еvеntuаlly аs thе саt bесоmеs оld(еr), hеr аvеrаgе littеr sizе will nаturаlly dесrеаsе.

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
Ask a Question