How long between kittens is normal?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by britishblueshorthair, Mar 6, 2010.

1. britishblueshorthair

britishblueshorthair Member

Hello, I am posting on behalf of my mother, she has a female cat that is just over a year old. Although she is a house cat she got out a few months ago and according to my mum it was for only a short time. Well the obvious happened and she became pregnant. Early this morning my mother rang me panicking and said she thought the cat was in labour. One kitten was born at around 8.30 this morning and mum and baby are doing well, she is nursing it and kitty seems happy and warm feeding from mum. Labour stopped and she settled with her kitten.I did notice the kitten was very small although it seems to be able to feed and crawl and find her teats well. We thought maybe she was having just the one but I was stroking her earlier and I could have sworn I felt a kitten moving inside her. Is it normal for labour to stop and for it to start again at a later time?
    She isn't bleeding, has eaten and drunk some water since delivery and seems very settled, but as i said I feel sure there are more. Can anyone offer any advice as what might be happening. Thanks in advance.

britishblueshorthair, Mar 6, 2010
  2. britishblueshorthair

catlover2 Well-Known Member

I know that cats can stop or halt the delivery process if their nest is disturbed. I am not sure how long they can wait though. I would suggest that if she does not have the kitty soon and you think there is one in there, to call the vet and ask for his opinion.

catlover2, Sep 16, 2010
  3. britishblueshorthair

steph84 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know that this was even possible. Can you give us an update on the status of your mother's cat britishblueshorthair? I hope that you asked a vet for some information on the matter. I did have a dog who delivered 3 pups and it took a while for her to deliver her 4th because she was getting nervous from having so many people around her. We just let her be and the pup eventually came within a few hours. I hope that everything turned out okay with the cat.

steph84, Jan 24, 2012
  4. britishblueshorthair

magickat Well-Known Member

It took our cat Smudge about 6 hours to deliver her first litter of six kittens. I don't know how long it took second time as she did it all herself while we were at work and when we came home she proudly took us to see her six new kittens :) Do keep us updated, I hope the cat was seen by a vet.

magickat, Jan 25, 2012
  5. britishblueshorthair

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My experience with my cats is that all the kittens got delivered more or less one after the other. Without much of a break. However, with one of my dogs, there was one birth with a difference of one whole day between the first two puppies and the next two.

Victor Leigh, Jan 26, 2012
  6. britishblueshorthair

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I've been doing a little reading, and it seems that cats can stop labor when they feel threatened, and that can include being watched. And it is not unheard of for a mother cat to go more than 24 hours between kittens.

Basically, so long as the mother doesn't seem to be in distress, and the kittens are moving inside her, there is no reason to panic. Though a call to the vet might be in order, just in case.

Wallie0921, Jan 31, 2012
  7. britishblueshorthair

SassyBrat Member

Wow I had no idea that they could do that! I see this was posted a long time ago, so I do hope in the end everything turned out well.

SassyBrat, Feb 8, 2012
  8. britishblueshorthair

Eva Active Member

Petting and KMR does wonders . Persians are very friendly birth givers just put the little ones close to their teat. They’ll smell their way there and from then on that’s their private milk source.

Eva, Jul 14, 2024
Ask a Question