How Long Are Cats Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I recently adopted an indoor outdoor cat. I found her outside and can't have her inside all the time because of allergy issues, but she does come in from time to time when it rains, or to eat, etc. I noticed she has been getting very large these last few weeks. Definitely in the stomach area, so I am guessing she is pregnant and is going to have her kittens soon. My question is, how long once you start noticing them getting big do they have their kittens? I have no knowledge about pregnant cats.

dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2015
  2. dashboardc33

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

The average length of pregnancy is 64 days or 9-10 weeks. They are usually about 3-4 weeks when they start to show. So your cat should have her kittens in another 6 weeks or so if she is already showing.

Susan Brown, Aug 18, 2015
  3. dashboardc33

Anne Well-Known Member

I probably checked this when I thought Twinkle was female and I tried to hold him close and he would sneak out sometimes. Once or twice I swore 'he' was pregnant and I got so sad. It was such a laugh when we found out 'she' was really a he.In addition to what you mentioned, the nipples will change colour to a pink and become swollen of sorts.

Anne, Aug 18, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  4. dashboardc33

Trellum Well-Known Member

What Susan said is quite accurate :) I'm sure your kitten will have her kitten in your yard, the cats my aunt fed did that all the time. Every time they got pregnant they went to give birth there, because they felt safe. I hope you are ready for that :) You will surely need to find a new home for those kittens ;)

Trellum, Aug 20, 2015
Ask a Question