How important is a pedigree to you?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Yolanda, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Yolanda

kinser Active Member

I've never owned a pedigreed cat, or had any desire to. With dogs I get more interested in different breeds, but just never have with cats - the different breeds are just too similar for me to take any interest in any in particular.

kinser, May 7, 2012
  2. Yolanda

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, that's not true. Cat breeds are quite dissimilar. They range from the long-haired like the Persian:

[​IMG]

To the hairless like the Sphynx:
    [​IMG]

And the tailless like the Manx:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 10, 2012
  3. Yolanda

Mystique Well-Known Member

I don't care so much about pedigree. My father was the only one that liked Persians a lot and he only wanted to buy pure Persian cats. That was way back when I was a lot younger, but these days, he feels that he's too old to have a cat :D I have learned to love every type of cat, no matter what colour, pedigree, degree, whatever.

Mystique, May 28, 2012
  4. Yolanda

tajnz Well-Known Member

I'm not fussed about pedigrees. In fact just like dogs many mixed breeds are healthier than purebreeds. I also like how unique some mixed cats look. Some have really interesting coats and markings.

I do admire some breeds of cats though the Spynx being one of them. They have really interesting personalities and one owner told me they behave like a cross between a cat, a dog and a monkey. I also love British Blue and Persians. So I guess I like either hairless or fluffy cats.. the extremes of both ends.

I like the sound of the certificate you get presented in Holland. :) More countries should follow your lead.

tajnz, Jun 5, 2012
  5. Yolanda

Really? I didn't know they are that good. Actually I had written up quite a bit about Sphynxes in some of my off-beat articles before but I never had a chance to meet one in person. Or should I say, in catson?

Victor Leigh, Jun 9, 2012
  6. Yolanda

tajnz Well-Known Member

I've never met a Spynx in "catson" either. ;) Growing up before I adopted my two dogs I once saw an article in the childrens section of the newspaper about a girl and her Spynx. Hearing about the $1000 price tag didn't put me off and I started a chart and accounts book to save up for one of my own. I saved up quite a bit but didn't get one in the end. I'm still fascinated by them though. I remember in paticular one YouTube video about a man who is woken up by a little pack/tribe of Spynx kittens in the morning. They climbed all over him and licked him it was beyond adorable. I think there might be a Spynx thread here. I'll look for it.

So I guess while I'm not fussed about pedigrees there are certain breeds of cats that I can't help but love.

tajnz, Jun 12, 2012
  7. Yolanda

I have only seen Sphynxes in pictures but I get the impression that they have two distinct personalities. Some are really cute like these:
    [​IMG]

But others look very fierce like this one:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  8. Yolanda

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I don't care for a pedigree. I love my cats no matter if they're pure bred of not.
    Most of my cats started as strays or outside cats. I love them to death.

Epicfied, Jun 15, 2012
  9. Yolanda

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm another cat owner that takes in strays or cats that are given to me.
    I've never had a pedigreed cat and it's not important to me to have one. I think all cats are beautiful and I don't need a cat with a pure bloodline and special papers. Shelter cats and strays are good enough for me.

I've definitely spoiled my past cats like they were pedigreed. I only have Dolores now and she acts like a freaking princess. :p

ACSAPA, Jul 21, 2012
  10. Yolanda

nikki Well-Known Member

While I do feel a bill of good health is important everyone deserves to have a loving home and a chance to feel love and acceptance.

Pedigree's are only important if I were to be breeding for show. I no longer breed because there are too many animals in need as it is.

nikki, Aug 13, 2012
  11. Yolanda

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Personality and connection is whats important to me when I get a new cat. I could care less about their pedigree or lack of it.

Beth23, Aug 15, 2012
  12. Yolanda

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I don't care! I find a lot of pedigree pets are inbreed these days so they have some genetic weaknesses that mixed breeds would not. I got my cats off Craigslist/kijiji for free, no picture or anything. I got very very lucky as my guys are beautiful!

Scottyxx, Sep 12, 2012
  13. Yolanda

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

I agree. I've never had any interest in buying a pure-bred/pedigree cat when there are plenty of adorable run of the mill cats and kittens in shelters that need homes. I'm always joking around with a friend of mine at work that recently obtained a savannah cat that she ranted and raved about its pedigree and how pretty it was but she's had nothing but problem after problem with that cat and has spent thousands in less than a year on vet bills and my two adopted stray cats from a shelter have never had any problems.

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 30, 2012
  14. Yolanda

Daintipawz Well-Known Member

I love all cats and have owned many moggies throughout my life, so many I have lost count, I have also taken on adult pedigrees in need of a home and have owned a Ragdoll, many Persians,, a Chinchilla Persian, Exotics, Sphynx and now have 1 Persian, 1 Exotic, 1 Maine Coon, 1 NFC, 1 Siamese, 1 Havana and 1 Oriental. We breed the Meezers and Oris now but there is no money to made in breeding, so far we have just broken even after breeding for nearly 3 years.
    If pedigrees are fed the correct food as to what the breeder had fed them there really shouldn't be any problems with poorly tums etc, if an owner changes their food without doing it gradually then there could be problems but if done gradually they should be fine.There are a lot of bybs out there who breed without registering, vaccinating, worming, etc and also breed from cats which are on the non active register just to try to make money. Pedigree kittens from a breeder should have a full health check before leaving home to make sure all is well, they shouldn't go to their new homes unless they are fit and healthy.
    I would have both pedigrees and moggies, I love them all.

Daintipawz, Oct 4, 2012
  15. Yolanda

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

The fierce looking cat looks like a plucked chicken. I wonder if they get sunburned from being so pale and going outside.

ACSAPA, Jun 25, 2013
  16. Yolanda

Trellum Well-Known Member

I own two dogs and 1 cat and to be honest I never cared about pedigrees at all! For me pedigrees aren't important at all, specially if you're not planning to start breeding cats or dogs for cash! Actually buying a cat or dog with pedigree is a waste of money if you're just looking to get a pet. I'd not buy a cat/dog with pedigree for that same reason.

Trellum, Oct 20, 2013
Ask a Question