How important is a pedigree to you?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Yolanda, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I have had cats with pedigrees and without pedigrees. Personally, I don't care to much for a pedigree. There are certain breeds I like, but if a cat fails to have some of the characteristics that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I do think it's important that the cats who the breeder is using to breed are checked and healthy and the same thing goes for the kittens. Here in the Netherlands you get a certificate called 'proof of health' when a kitten has been seen by the vet, got his/her shots and has been treated (prevention) for flees and worms. I think this certificate is way more important than a pedigree. Off course cats with a pedigree always come with this certificate, cats without one don't always have them.

How about you guys. Would you buy a cat without a pedigree or not, and why?

Yolanda, Nov 27, 2011
  2. Yolanda

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I always thought I would have to get cats with pedigrees, like Devon Rexes or something, because of my allergies. But then I moved to Texas, where my allergies are in full flower 24/7/365 and figured, "What the heck, it's not like it can get any worse." So all of my cats have been mutts. :)

Wallie0921, Nov 30, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have always taken in stray cats or little homeless kitties off of the street. It doesn't matter if they are scraggly and funny looking or have 7 toes. I still love them and take them in. I have had a few fancy cats as a kid, but most were so sensitive and got sick easily. The vet bills piled up. Some had sensitive stomachs and allergies.

steph84, Feb 18, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  4. Yolanda

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

A pedigree is not at all important to me, shelter reform and saving and as many as possible from being euthanized is important to me, especially now that a bill has passed that will allow surrendered animals to be killed within 60 seconds of being surrendered if they are thought to be "suffering mental anguish" during their initial intake assessment.

Micheleteresa, Feb 18, 2012
  5. Yolanda

wow that 60 second thing really shocked me! How on earth can they do this? Money, off course.. and there might be a shortage on staff as well, but still. There are to many animals put to sleep for no good reason.

Yolanda, Feb 18, 2012
  6. Yolanda

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Wow! I agree that is shocking! I have never had a cat with a pedigree they have all been just strays I took in or that people have given me. It's so sad that there are so many animals suffering and abandoned it just breaks my heart. I would take more in but I just don't have the room! :(

SheWolfSilver, Feb 19, 2012
  7. Yolanda

I am also shocked that the "quick kill bill" passed. What is most alarming is the truth about the ASPCA, I have dealt with the NYC ACC shelters, Manhattan and Brooklyn, and have seen the intake paperwork that the ASPCA has surrendered animals to the Manhattan ACC and the quick kill bill is supported by the ASPCA. I no longer donate to the ASPCA because of this.
    These shelters are horrible and it is my opinion that every staff member involved in intake assessment should be mandatorily educated in proper animal behaviour assessment, especially animal behaviour assesment in a shelter setting.

Micheleteresa, Feb 19, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  8. Yolanda

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

This is so sad think of all the poor animals that are going to be put to death. This is why I have five dogs and three cats I just try to help all that I can and it's still not enough I feel so disheartened by all the ones I can't help! :(

SheWolfSilver, Feb 22, 2012
  9. Yolanda

inTHEsane Active Member

For me with cats, breed/pedigree doesn't matter at all. I am someone who loves cats a lot and can get pretty much any cat out there to like me. I just never got into knowing all the different types of breeds, def. never cared about the pedigree. Granted there are "types" of cats I always leaned more to and enjoyed there general personality traits more then others. However for the most part especially if acquired as kitten, I believe the owner makes the cat, not their pedigree.

inTHEsane, Feb 22, 2012
  10. Yolanda

magickat Well-Known Member

i have always had moggies and have no interest in pedigrees. Why spend all that money on a cat more likely to have health problems, when there are so many beautiful moggies out there in need of a loving home?

magickat, Feb 23, 2012
  11. Yolanda

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I hereby propose that all staff members of the ASPCA should be given an intake re-assesment. And if they don't pass within 60 seconds, I have some good suggestions as to what to do with them.

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
    Yolanda and Micheleteresa like this.
  12. Yolanda

Horrible! I haven't donated to them before, I have donated to Dutch shelters however. They are non-kill so far, luckily.

Yolanda, Mar 4, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  13. Yolanda

The ASPCA recently dropped of a few more animals at the ACC, I know one, Penny, was saved from the kill list. When people leave an animal outside the ASPCA, when some idiot does not return to spay/neuter free/low cost mobile unit to claim the animal they brought for surgery or when the ASPCA does a hoarder confiscation, the ASPCA has no problem leaving animals at NYC ACC, knowing very well most of them will be killed. You can do a google search for more info, I at first thought this could NO WAY be true, but after seeing actual ACC intakes, no doubt it is a horrid, cruel, truth :(

Micheleteresa, Mar 4, 2012
  14. Yolanda

I think this problem must be nipped in the bud. If they are allowed to continue in this way, I can foresee a not-too-distant future where poor people brought to hospital may be put on the quick-kill list. To harvest their organs.

Victor Leigh, Mar 5, 2012
  15. Yolanda

nicola Active Member

Sophie is our first pedigree cat.
    Our other two cats we had from cats protection.
    Lucy our other cat who was put to sleep in Jan we had since she was nine weeks.

I don't mind having none or pedigree cats at all.

nicola, Mar 16, 2012
  16. Yolanda

So glad you shared, even though I'd rather heard it wasn't true it's better to know.

Yolanda, Mar 17, 2012
  17. Yolanda

Jessi Well-Known Member

I just spent some time reading up on the quick kill bill thing and it looks like they pulled that particular clause after Amy got so many death threats, heh.

As for the original question, no, I don't care about the pedigree and have never had a full-blooded anything. All of my cats have technically been strays.

Jessi, Mar 31, 2012
  18. Yolanda

Not for cats. Mainly the pedigreed Persians and Cinchillas that I have met are no big deal. They are just living toys. The way I look at it, cats are supposed to catch mice. A cat that doesn't know how to catch mice is no cat at all. My apologies if I offend any fancy cat lovers.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  19. Yolanda

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

A pedigree is only important to me if I was trying to sell them for a big profit. I think of cats as our preferred pets, that will be our lifelong companions, through all our sad and happy times. I do think pedigrees are important if someone wants to sell them and make a good size profit. To me they are always going to be more of a pet than what pedigree they are from. Just have to love them no matter how they got here.

Jenny Heart, Apr 10, 2012
  20. Yolanda

Anna T Active Member

They are not important to me at all, although I can understand why they are to some. Every cat I've ever owned has appeared stray at my doorstep.

Anna T, Apr 16, 2012
Ask a Question