Frozen food storage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

A really helpful guide when in doubt of freezing something! Very handy to keep nearby, I might print this one and place it on the fridge.

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jul 26, 2015
  2. Trellum

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi Trellum,
    I am a HUGE fan of freezing food. It is so much more healthy than canned. I love to make my own stocks and soups and freeze them. I use Ball canning jars with the metal lids, they fit nicely in the freezer. Fresh tomatoes in the garden can be skinned and then stewed Italian style with onion and celery, then frozen in jars. They are healthy and no salt! If I have any trimmed/inedible meat pieces, I cook it, chop it and freeze it for the fur kids. Thaw in the microwave then add as a little treat in with their regular food.

Kay Dougall, Jul 28, 2015
    Trellum likes this.
  3. Trellum

Thank you for the tips!!!! @Kay Dougall I was wondering how I could safely freeze and store stocks and soups!!! Omg, so many useful tips!!! I'm planing on cooking and freezing a lot meals ahead of time next year, because I'll be so busy in my new married life. Thanks a lot for the useful tips. But... do you recommend the use of freezing bags? And if you do... what things do you usually freeze in them?

Trellum, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Trellum

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi Trellum,
    I try to do things as ecofriendly as possible, so I try not to use freezer bags--rather reuse jars. Also, I somehow manage to cut or nick bags when they are in the freezer, and then when you try to thaw something in water, it leaks into the bag. I found out about this in my Ball Canning Book. I canned food for a couple of years (in a house with no air conditioning). Blanching, cooking and freezing stuff is so much quicker, and no standing over a pot of boiling water for 45 minutes. I think you need to experiment--have never frozen something like scalloped potatoes, but that sure would be handy. About the only thing I have not liked frozen was Ratatouille, just a little mushy when it thawed. I'll keep you posted if I find any interesting recipes.

Kay Dougall, Jul 28, 2015
    Trellum likes this.
  5. Trellum

@Kay Dougall Thanks a lot, I'll get one of those books to learn how to properly freeze things using ball canning jars :) They sound like a very safe way to freeze my chicken stock! Can you find them in several sizes? Or do you always use the bigger ones? This sounds like a lot fun and something so good and constructive to try when I have spare time =D You know, so I can have an easier time when times get busier :)

Trellum, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

This is a really great post Trellum and Kay. I had no idea you could even freeze most of the items that were in this chart. It is good to know. I have printed off the chart and posted it on my fridge. I like to make freezer jam with fresh fruit and enjoy it through the winter months. I blanch and freeze some vegetables but that it about it. I usually store my stuff in mason jars. The are convenient and they are easy to organize.

Susan Brown, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Trellum

I'm glad you found this useful, Susan. I might have even less time in the future, and even if I don't... I don't want to spend most of my time off in the kitchen! So I plan to do a lot freezing... I'm going to freeze a lot meals :) So we can just enjoy them when needed. I plan to prepare at least 5 balls of pizza dough and freeze them, so I can make pizza any day of the week.

Trellum, Aug 3, 2015
Ask a Question