Do you leave your pets home for long periods of time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I was just wondering how many of you leave their pets alone at home for long periods. I know a lot people work full time and life alone, so have no choice. That can be terrible for both a dog and a cat. I'm fortunate enough not to have that problem, because I work from home and spend a lot time at home, so yes, I am home all day bugging my Bob and Frida, hehehe!

What about you? Do you leave your pets alone at home for very long?

Trellum, Apr 8, 2015
  2. Trellum

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Our cats are pretty fortunate, someone is usually at home, too! You would think with cats dispositions, they would not have an issue with being home for long periods of time. Well, that is not the case with our Herman and Eddie! They cry! How do we know this? BECAUSE we catch them in the act! :rolleyes:
    Sometimes, they think no one is in the house and their despair begins.

Another thing, they do while we away is get theirs stuffed animal toys out. We come home and find them in the areas where we would normally be; such as, on one of computer chairs or on one of our beds, etc :p

I am afraid, they are going to go have some big anxiety attacks this summer. We will be taking them out to our family country house and our schedule will be much busier. Oh dear! :(

Herman&Eddie, Apr 8, 2015
  3. Trellum

I've noticed most indoors seem to find when they are home alone for long, my Bob seems so anxious and needy when he knows I'll be going! But sometimes when I come back he starts acting all cold, like I'm not there, lol.

Aw they do cry? That is so sweet, hehehehe! As for the stuffed animals, looks like they are placed in strategic places ;)

Trellum, Apr 9, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  4. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Sometimes my pets are left at home for long periods. It's been happening a lot recently and sometimes I will be gone from 9-9. I hate it and I know the girls miss me but they have each other as company so that makes it easier for them. I've lost a pet bed back in the early days when they were left alone. I suspect they were bored and frustrated and took it out on the bed.

Anne, Apr 13, 2015
  5. Trellum

Oh, pet bed! I have often thought about getting one. I just did not know if my cats would use it or not. Now, it sounds like cats get "take it out" on their pet beds. lol

I am quite concerned myself about our new schedule for the summer, as our two cats will be left alone for extended hours. I suspect they are going to be up to some mischief, to let us know they are not liking our absence!

I think, I might be full of some story's about this in the upcoming months! so be prepared! ;)

Herman&Eddie, Apr 13, 2015
  6. Trellum

Wow, do you work 12 hours a day? That ought to be super tough! Are they really Aline for so long? I mean, what about your husband and your son?

Trellum, Apr 13, 2015
  7. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Not every day and I would be lying if I said I was actually working those hours. I probably am expected to but it's not going to happen at my age.I simply refuse unless it's going to bring me millions and not even then. My primary business used to be clothing but I have left my son to manage that while I help my husband set up a company and bring to life a dormant business. Some days I can decide I am staying at home and doing what I can from there. I can also decide I am not leaving home at all but to be "good wife" I show up most days. Some time ago I was feeling really stressed and I stayed at home with my girls.

Right now my car is at the mechanic so I wait to travel with my husband and he's happy to work very long hours. Then there are those times when I leave and go to the clothing shop after being here at the office. It's those long days when the girls are left at home. When things are going well and I have my own transportation I take a break and go look for them sometimes. I have wondered about their bladder. You know they say we damage our bladders when we hold our water for too long. Does the same happen with dogs? My son just loves the idea of having the pets around but doesn't CONSISTENTLY take care of them. My husband, he's happy to just buy the food for them and if they mess he never cleans it as he believes they should be outdoor dogs and not inside. So in many ways, I am all alone when it comes to caring FULLY for them.

Anne, Apr 13, 2015
  8. Trellum

It sounds like all of you are super busy all the time! I was wondering why your son or husband let the girls out during the day for a bit, but now I understand your home situation a bit better. My situation at home when living with my parents was very different, because my mom and dad worked in the morning, very short shifts, while I was going school 5 hours. So we weren't away from home so long.

Best of luck with your business! Sometimes it's so hard to keep up with a hectic schedule, you have so much in your mind :( I hope your Ginger start behaving soon. So sorry to hear your husband and son don't help much with the dogs... if I recall well he wanted Ginger for himself :( or am wrong?

Trellum, Apr 14, 2015
  9. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

:) You remember well. My son did want Ginger for himself. For the first week or so he had her all in his bed and slowly and slowly, his Fifa took over and slowly and slowly she started gravitating towards me as I was the one feeding her and generally caring for her. This is nothing new. The same thing happened with Twinkle. Twinkle was going to be his little sweetheart.

I remember when I first allowed Twinkle to go outside he would return in the wee hours of the morning and climb by the window and call to come in. Of course my son might or might no have heard being deep sleeper, but I was always the one to get up and let him in. He says I steal them from him but all I do is care for them consistently.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Anne, Apr 14, 2015
  10. Trellum

First, let me say, you certainly do sound like you have busy, fulfilled life!

I can relate to your about our pets gravitate to the their primary care givers. Eddie was suppose to by my sons cat. He wanted her, he picked her out, and then she was such a wild kitten and our other cat Herman had such a break down, when we brought Eddie home, that we had to keep her in a cage overnight for her own protection, We have never had to do this before. Only used a cage for a trip to the vet.

So, I would keep the cage right next to me at night. Eventually, as the cats became adjusted enough, for Herman to not snarl at Eddie, She got to come out of cage at night. But I have to tell you, never seen our good natured Herman become so ferocious! If we did not know her so well, she would of scared the heck out of us, too! Well, she does not the vet too much either, and gives out this crazy howl and cry. The first time we went to pick her up from a grooming, we were like is that our Herman? Thus, why I said earlier, she is our Mae West!

But back at the subject at hand. I am glad we have a place for our litter box that is set out of the way! And, yes, I am the one to clean, it! Sometimes my son will step up, otherwise, it is just me. My husband is like, let the cats out! But those days are long past! No more prowling at night for Herman! And still worried about those long days ahead, when our cats will left alone this summer!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 15, 2015
  11. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

My husband was happy when I let Twinkle out as well. He often encouraged it. We never really spoke about it when he passed but I wonder if he felt bad for suggesting that I allow him to be on the prowl. He was not as emotionally attached as I was: no one was, but I could see he felt pain when Twinkle left this realm. I hope Herman and Eddie remain safe this summer, in fact they will. We are not losing any more cats around here.

About that busy fulfilled life, I don't know if tomorrow is going to be different but right now my pets have a big part to play in fulfillment there is in my life right now.

Anne, Apr 15, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  12. Trellum

How old is your son, Anne? I'm just curious, he sounds like maybe he is in his late teens, maybe early 20's? You are right, there is a reason for them to start gravitating around you ;) Men tend to mature slower than us women, so it might them them a bit longer to understand that by taking care of a pet consistently is how they can earn their trust and love. Don't worry, he is still young, but he will eventually learn. Took me a while to teach my partner a couple of lessons, but he did get it and he is in his early 30's ;)

Trellum, Apr 23, 2015
  13. Trellum

You know, I did write a lengthy reply back to your post. I think, I forgot to his the tab, post reply! :p So, this time my words are going to be as lengthy. At the same time, I wanted to express my thanks for your good wishes extended towards Herman and Eddie's safe summer.

Last time, we had them up there, I was standing at the sliding glass doorway, enjoying the sunset. And I see this cat slinking across the lawn. I think to myself, oh what a cute little cat. Wonder where this cat came from? Oh, what a coincidence this cat has a purple collar, like our Eddie. Then it dawned on me, it was our Eddie! She had escaped for an afternoon adventure. This is only one of two times, she had escaped.

But on a more serious note, I think husbands, at times, just do not show their emotions, as much, sometimes.... but does not mean, they do not care! :)

Herman&Eddie, Apr 23, 2015
  14. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Oh my baby is going to be 24 today. I do need to let him go. I find it so hard to see him as anything but my baby and then when he is not very consistently responsible in areas of pet care and the like he is more of a baby. He wouldn't like me saying that, but it's true sometimes. Sometimes when I get mad and want to run away, I wonder who's going to take care of my girls the way I do. This is day three and I have been here with them even if not spending as much quality time with them as I would like. Hopefully, they understand I must be able to work to help keep them alive:).

Herman & Eddie you are welcome and I agree that husbands and men for the most part don't show emotion as much as we do. I am convinced he was affected by Twinkle's death. Herman and Eddie will be fine this summer. In my heart I still believe they should have some adventure but the risk..oh the risk. Anyway everything will be fine with the girls.

Anne, Apr 23, 2015
  15. Trellum

Ah I see! Don't worry, he is still young, that is why he behaves that way, but don't worry, when he gets older he will change. Men take so long to mature, very very long. I mean, my 30 year old boyfriend was so damn immature when I met him! He was 30 already!!! I've met some really immature men who were 40.
    But you know what? I have notice that the maturity levels in a men vary greatly a lot depending on their life experience. Life sooner or later teaches us how hard life can be though. But I have yet to met a mature 20 year old ;)

One can't help to notice certain things tho... culture does play a big role in maturity levels. It's so easy to see, specially for people who like me weren't born in Europe (I have noticed young men in the Netherlands are amongst the most spoiled and rotten young people I've ever met - very rude and immature if they don't get what they want). They could learn a lot from the British youth... my friend is 28, a bit immature, but not rotten spoiled at all! He is British, a very fine young man. The dutch need to stop letting their kids do whatever they want.

As for your son, don't worry, I'm sure he is a fine young man, he just needs some time, life will take care of the rest. Don't worry and be happy :) Life is so short!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Trellum, Apr 24, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  16. Trellum

ANNE! That is so cool! My daughter's birthday was this week, too! Having our children become young adults is a challenge. Hehe to the pet care, too. I can so relate! But, when I am not around, they step up to the plate!

Oh, adventures may be good; nevertheless, the most adventure planned for the cats is the long car ride, adapting to their new home environment for the summer. We will set it up so they can lounge in front of the windows and dream!

Happy Birthday to your son!!! :)

Herman&Eddie, Apr 24, 2015
Ask a Question