Do you have any other pets, besides cats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Wahcashmom

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I did have a fancy mouse named Luna but I had to give her away because Mama kept knocking over the cage and trying to eat her (it would happen at least once a week). It was so stressful that I just gave up on the prospect of keeping Luna. Other than that, no other pets.

Belligerent, Jan 24, 2012
  2. Wahcashmom

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

My household non-cat population has gone up by three. My local Walmart was getting rid of their fish tanks, so they were giving the fish away. I now have a puffer fish and two fiddler crabs. I'm not sure how the puffer will do, since she was in dire straits when I got her, but the crabs seem to be doing very well.

I'm going to have to set up a brackish aquarium for my new puffer, and she has, until now, been kept in a freshwater tank. So I'm going to have to add the salt very, very gradually.

Wallie0921, Feb 9, 2012
  3. Wahcashmom

Carolinagirl Member

Carolinagirl, Feb 11, 2012
  4. Wahcashmom

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I'm actually thinking about getting my son a small pet that he can keep in his room. Maybe a fish or a lizard or something that he alone will be responsible for. What do you guys think?

SheWolfSilver, Feb 11, 2012
  5. Wahcashmom

Carolinagirl Member

I think it depends on how old your son is. Would he be able to take care of the lizard himself? Lizards require so much more work than fish. My mother had a lizard for awhile and she complained about having to clean the cage everyday.

Carolinagirl, Feb 12, 2012
  6. Wahcashmom

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

My son is ten and very responsible when it comes to living things. I think he gets that from me but just in case maybe I should start him out with a fish. :)

SheWolfSilver, Feb 12, 2012
  7. Wahcashmom

magickat Well-Known Member

Good luck with the puffer fish Wallie, that's a pretty cool pet to have! Glad the crabs are doing OK.

There is an exotic pet store very near our house and I often go in and have a look at all the lovely creatures. I have my eye on a water dragon :)

magickat, Feb 12, 2012
  8. Wahcashmom

Alli Well-Known Member

I don't have any other pets right now, but I used to have a pair of sugar gliders along with my cats. They lived in a cage and the cats would watch them for hours, fascinated. Then one day, my girl cat started avoiding the glider cage completely- wouldnt go near it. I think she got to close and got bit on the nose (they have really sharp little front teeth)

Alli, Mar 11, 2012
  9. Wahcashmom

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Besides cats and dogs, there one other animal that I would really like to have as a pet. I would like to have a monkey. I have a few friends who have pet monkeys and I never get bored of watching their antics. Does anyone have a pet monkey? Little children don't count.

Victor Leigh, Mar 11, 2012
  10. Wahcashmom

magickat Well-Known Member

What are sugar gliders? I have never heard of them!

magickat, Mar 12, 2012
  11. Wahcashmom

Here's a sugar glider. A baby, in fact:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Mar 12, 2012
  12. Wahcashmom

nicola Active Member

We just have sophie at the moment.
    We did have a dog called Shep when I was younger.
    We can't have them now as mum's allergic to them now.

nicola, Mar 16, 2012
  13. Wahcashmom

kinser Active Member

I have a German Shepherd, a Rottweiler/Lab mix, and a Ball python. For awhile we also had a Painted Lady butterfly that my daughter got as a caterpillar from a Brownie event. It was so cool to watch it go through the stages of change into a butterfly (we even named it). I no longer have any cats (I had to put my beloved cat to sleep a few months ago), but they are probably my favorite type of pet. I'd love to get another, but my dogs are too big and rowdy at this stage - I'm afraid they'd scare a new cat to pieces.

kinser, Apr 20, 2012
  14. Wahcashmom

Is your Ball Python anything like this?
    [​IMG]

So what happened to the Painted Lady Butterfly? Just flew away?

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  15. Wahcashmom

Jessi Well-Known Member

We have a dog and fish currently. We used to have all sorts of animals. over the years, we've had rabbits, rats, snakes, and owls/squirrels/raccoons that were rescued and released. We don't have anything like that nowadays, though.

Jessi, Apr 22, 2012
  16. Wahcashmom

violino Well-Known Member

Apart from the cats (2) I've got a dog as well, golden retriever. It's actually my dad's and I don't do anything with him, I sometimes stroke a beast. He's around 40kg of pure happiness and it's really oppressive sometimes ;)

violino, May 5, 2012
  17. Wahcashmom

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

I only have one kitten and I'm very happy with that. I think one kitten is enough and it's all I need =)

BeautifulAngel, Aug 3, 2012
  18. Wahcashmom

Beth23 Well-Known Member

I'm not a dog person. I like them but I have trouble connecting with them. I did have one dog that belonged to my sister in law that I just connected with and fell in love with. A little Chihuahua named Gingin. My sister in law didnt pay much attention to her and gave her to us. I think the cats thought she was an ugly cat instead of a dog :p. They liked her but would sit and look at her with pity on their faces. As dogs go she was really cute. She passed away a few years back of old age.

I did have a Russian tortoise who passed away recently. He was so cute and affectionate. You wouldn't think they would be but they are.

Beth23, Aug 12, 2012
  19. Wahcashmom

Sad to hear about your dog and tortoise. Quite odd about the tortoise, though. I thought tortoises lived for a very long time. I remember reading about a recent story of a tortoise that had outlived its second owner and is now looking for a third. I think it's only about 100 years young.

Victor Leigh, Aug 12, 2012
  20. Wahcashmom

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Well he was pretty old. He had 2 owners before me. We adopted him. The vet said he was about 80 which is still rather young for a tortoise. He wasn't in great shape when we got him because the previous owners were not that caring and it caused some damage to his health. We spoiled him for the last 15 years of his life though.

Beth

Beth23, Aug 12, 2012
Ask a Question