Do you have any other pets, besides cats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Wahcashmom

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Do you have any other pets, besides cats?

I have a dog as well, and we have 6 cats!

Wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011
  2. Wahcashmom

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

We have three cats, a dog (Foxy, a shiba inu, chow, and German shepherd mix), and a fish (Kevin, the world's largest algae eater (well, maybe not -- he is about five inches long, though)).

I'd like more fish, but I need (a) a larger tank and (b) something sturdy to put it on before I can do that.

I would also like a goat, to keep the lawn short, but my yard's too small. I'd need to put hir habitat so far from my house, it'd be too close to the neighbor behind me.

Wallie0921, Dec 14, 2011
  3. Wahcashmom

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Besides cats, I have ducks. Maybe some people do not think of ducks as pets. However I have raised mine since they were little balls of fluff. So they are like my pets just like my cats.

Victor Leigh, Dec 14, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  4. Wahcashmom

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I currently do not have any other pets. I did have more when living in Puerto Rico, besides the stray kittens and poochies I feed daily. I had three dogs, chickens and horses. My foster son often brought his goat by to munch on the grass too.
    My Kitty Sunny is the only one I brought to NY with me when I moved back here a little over a year ago. A cousin in PR has one dog. My foster son has two of the dogs and continues to feed the stray kitty's. A nephew had the two horses but he sold them to a friend who had more property for them to roam freely as well as more experience at caring for horses. My youngest son is in PR right now and he was very happy that the dogs recognized him and were happy to see him.
    I would like to get a dog when I move into a house next month but I have already sort of adopted the german shepherd who lives on the property of the auto shop next to the house, his name is Rusty and he is supposed to be a guard dog but is very friendly one year old, he comes over to my yard to play every time I go over to the new place to get it ready for the move. I was already familiar with Ruty because I have been at the auto shop with my mom, who is the property manager of the auto shop, mom often brings Rusty doogie snacks when she picks up the rent for the owner of the property.

Micheleteresa, Dec 14, 2011
  5. Wahcashmom

magickat Well-Known Member

I don't have any other pets at the moment but I used to keep pet rats and they were wonderful! I know a lot of people don't like rats but they make great pets - they are very intelligent and entertaining. My husband likes exotic pets and would love to have tarantulas, scorpions and snakes! But i think we will be sticking to 6 cats for now :)

magickat, Dec 14, 2011
  6. Wahcashmom

That's funny. If you were to keep pet cats and pet rats at the same time, it would be something to watch. Watch like the cats watch the rats waiting for you not to be watching them.

Victor Leigh, Dec 15, 2011
  7. Wahcashmom

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

It sure does sound like everyone here has a lot of love for their animals. I feel like my dog and all 6 of my cats are just like part of the family, like my children.

Wahcashmom, Dec 16, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  8. Wahcashmom

Cats and dogs do not have to be enemies. I have had a kitten and a puppy that grew up together. They had the same coloring so that might be how they bonded so well. When the puppy grew up into a dog, I chained it to stop it from chasing the cat for fun. The cat would just sit by the side of the dog. Probably something like 'Poor you! Never mind, I will sit here to keep you company anyway.'

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  9. Wahcashmom

amy005 Well-Known Member

I have a dog as well as my one cat. My cat and dog actually do not hate each other. They get a long pretty well.. they do play together once in a while. Otherwise they just stay out of each others way.

amy005, Dec 16, 2011
  10. Wahcashmom

I think there should be some kind of project world-wide to make cats and dogs live together in peace. It would make for a lot of happy households.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
  11. Wahcashmom

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I don't have any other pets than my five cats at the time being. I used to have dogs as well at my parents house, and a couple of years ago I had a rat.
    Rats are lovely animals, but they are kind of hard to keep when you have cats as well. They did not grow up together, and basicly the rat will always be prey to them. When I have a rat, I want to be able to have it sit on my shoulder without having to worry about closing the door of the room and/or his cage. So I made the decision to not own any more rats, even though it was wonderful when I had them. I want them to experience as much freedom as possible as they are in a cage a long time every day already.

Yolanda, Dec 18, 2011
  12. Wahcashmom

Do you really mean rats or do you mean white mice?

I have had white mice before but not rats. White mice are very interesting pets. They do not take up much space and their breeding cycle is quite short so you get to watch baby mice being born and brought up all the time. Of course, that also means you will have a big mice colony in a very short time.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  13. Wahcashmom

kat74 Active Member

For a in door pet I only have a cat, I always say that I will get a parrot but I haven't yet done so. I have a dog which stays outside in his house because I have a bigger backyard so it doesn't come inside the house at all. I play with him outside and take him for walks too.

kat74, Dec 19, 2011
  14. Wahcashmom

A parrot is a nice pet. If you get a big cockatoo, it can do double-duty as a watch-dog, too. Maybe you can team it up with your dog outside and the cockatoo inside.

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
  15. Wahcashmom

magickat Well-Known Member

I'm sure she does mean rats, they are quite popular pets. They are called "fancy rats" to distinguish them from the vermin kind and are a lot bigger than mice. They come in all sorts of lovely colours and make wonderfully entertaining and intelligent pets.

magickat, Jan 12, 2012
  16. Wahcashmom

I now have a dog! her name is Lady, she is 1 year and 2 months old and had been on her third stay, since she was 8 months old, at the shelter and was on the euthanization list. I can not understand why she was returned to the shelter all these times, she is friendly, likes cats, understands Sit, stay and lay down and is just as any young dog would be, full of energy and wanting to play most of the time. We do have to work on her enthusiastic way of greeting people by jumping up on them, but I do not see that as a reason to have her put to sleep. I guess some people do not understand that, as with a child, pets must be taught good manners.

Micheleteresa, Jan 15, 2012
  17. Wahcashmom

This thing about putting dogs to sleep really makes me very angry. Why? I seriously think that people who support such an inhumane treatment of man's best friend should be put to sleep instead.

Victor Leigh, Jan 15, 2012
  18. Wahcashmom

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new family member, Micheleteresa!

I have nearly cured my dog of jumping up by simply separating her from the people when she does it. She jumps up, I put her outside. She really loves people, so it works about 99% of the time. That's why I said "nearly." I take a zero-tolerance approach. I even put her out for standing on her hind legs next to a person.

That final 1%, though, is when the temptation to jump up is just too strong. She'll jump up and head immediately for the back door. You can almost hear her saying, "I know. I have to go outside now." Apparently, the jump up is worth being put outside occasionally.

Wallie0921, Jan 15, 2012
  19. Wahcashmom

LOL, Wallie that shows how intelligent dogs are that your dog knows she has to go outside because she jumped!

I will have to try this with lady because the turn ing my back to her and saying "NO" as suggested has not helped much.

Micheleteresa, Jan 18, 2012
  20. Wahcashmom

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have five dogs in addition to my three cats. A silver dapple dachshund named Bitsy, two dachshund mixes named Isabelle and Babygirl, a beagle named Petunia, and a big mutt named BJ short for Big John.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 24, 2012
Ask a Question