Didn't Understand about Cat Breeds.

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by pafjlh, Feb 2, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Its really funny to hear individuals ask about what cat breed you prefer. To be honest I never gave cats having different breeds any thought. I guess it does make sense since dogs have different breeds so why not a cat. Yes, I had heard of different types of cats like Persian or Siamiese. But I never thought all cats could have different breeds that they could fall into.

To be honest if someone were to ask me what breed Pepper or her four kittens were I couldn't answer them. I really don't have any idea what breed of cat they fall under. They could be parts of different breeds depending who their father is. I suspect Peppers two litters that the four kittens that survived came from could be from two different cats because of the apparances of the cats, but again don't know the breeds. Anyway, I really don't put much thought into the breeds of my cats, I just know that I love them, that's all that matters to me.

pafjlh, Feb 2, 2015
  2. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi there! I got my cat from the street :p My Bob doesn't belong to a specific breed, he is just a black cat :p But if you also got yur cats from street or friends, odds are they are mixed breed cats. Just like mine. Most breed cats are very expensive! Like for example the Norwegian forest cats... I dream of having one when my Bob dies, but they're so darn expensive!

Trellum, Feb 8, 2015
  3. pafjlh

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi Trellum,
    Just read your post. Thanks for rescuing a black cat. They are my absolute favorite! I have two black cats at this point in time, and two tuxies. We work with Malamute (sled dog) rescue and have fostered many of them over the years. If you are interested in a particular breed of cat (Norwegian Forest cat), try putting "Norwegian Forest cat rescue" into your computer. People surrender purebred animals to rescue for the most ridiculous reasons, so you could find a very nice cat that way. And a rescue cat/dog has been temperament-tested, vaccinated, spayed, etc. so you could find one with a mellow disposition, good with kids, that kind of stuff. Rescue usually charges a minimum price for a purebred--just enough to cover costs of taking them in.
    k

Kay Dougall, Mar 4, 2015
  4. pafjlh

Awesome Kay! I'll surely try that! I honestly love rescue dogs and cats, they're great pets and I'm a firm believer dogs and cats deserve a second and even third chance! if not more :) I actually like rescue dogs, my schnauzer is a rescue one, my pug was a gift, but if I ever get another dog... it'll surely be a rescue.

Trellum, Mar 6, 2015
    Anne likes this.
  5. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

I have to say I never knew what breed my cat was and I was curious if I am being totally honest. It was only when I started chatting in forums that I was exposed to so many breeds. I have to say I have seen some very interesting breeds but when all is said and done breed doesn't matter, it's the love you get.

Anne, Mar 9, 2015
  6. pafjlh

I think your kitty was a ginger cat mix :) Because his chest was white, and in the other picture you showed he was very flurry. But definitely he was a ginger cat mix! Those kitties make great pets; they have great personalities. Because did you know that a cat breed also defines a bit what kind of temperament a cat will have? I was amazed to read that, but it's true. All the cats I've had had such a different personality.

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  7. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

You think it was a Ginger cat mix? Really? I am getting all emotional just thinking about him ( typed "she" at first: always have to correct the sex as we thought he was a she for months). I honestly know nothing of breeds but I always just wanted to know. He was different from all the others I saw in my neighborhood. My husband still speaks about his tail and I would never have thought that he was paying attention.

I don't know how to explain it but I feel a sort of sweet sadness, just knowing what family he was from: he had a sweet personality.They was a scary looking one I would see from time to time and one night I came home and saw Twinkle seemingly "courting the scary looking one". These days I don't see it anymore. I have a bad feeling that that cat has passed on as well: all very suspicious. Thank you Trellum.

Anne, Mar 9, 2015
  8. pafjlh

You are welcome, Anne :) Actually I was checking and it seems some ginger cats do have white chests too, I mean, look at this one:

[​IMG]

Some are even very fluffy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think those above are very mixed.. with a very fluffy white cat, hehehe!

But gingers usually look like this:

[​IMG]

My next cat will be a ginger :)

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  9. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

From the top right down to the one on the washing machine looks like a relative to Twinkle. It looks like the same cat throughout. You took me back to looking at all the pictures I took of Twinkle. I will share some when I am on another computer. The cat in question looks fluffier than Twink but it must be the closest I have ever come to seeing a cat that so reminds me of him. Wow! This is good therapy today and a learning experience. Thank you, thank you, thank you. "Winterybella" signing out.;)

Anne, Mar 9, 2015
  10. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

IMG_20140608_175534.jpg IMG_20140404_153625_edit_edit.jpg IMG_20140522_082428.jpg IMG_20140520_175659.jpg

Some of his many looks. I had such big plans for him.

Anne, Mar 10, 2015
  11. pafjlh

He was gorgeous :) It's funny, but I've seen quite a few ginger cats with that same eye color and even green. They're lovely! I'm glad to hear that you found this useful and helpful, Anne :) Thanks for sharing those pics with us, if Twinkle could see us (and I really think he does) he'd be so happy to know he still lives in your memories.

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
  12. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

That I get to show him to the world is such a delight. I wonder if I will ever get over him. My son has been asking me lots of questions about life and death that I honestly can't answer. He reasons if there is life after death for humans, the same should apply to animals who have done no wrong. Questions, questions, questions.

Anne, Mar 10, 2015
  13. pafjlh

Well, I kinda like to think that all my dead pets will be there when I die, hehehe. It's a comforting feeling you know? But no one knows for sure where we go or if heaven exists, I guess we will never know... until we know ;) Not looking forward to knowing soon :p

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
Ask a Question