Did You Adopt Your Cat Or Buy From A Pet Shop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Did You Adopt Your Cat Or Buy From A Pet Shop?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mocha&Latte

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

I adopted both my cats together. I know that people aren't suppose to buy cats from pet stores or shops because there are millions of abandoned cats on the streets, but all you have to do is spay your cat. I don't get what's the problem. If you want to find out more to to:
    http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/bought-cat-buying-purebred-cats-wont-judge-you

So,Did You Adopt Your Cat Or Buy From A Pet Shop?

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
  2. Mocha&Latte

Trellum Well-Known Member

Actually Bob was a stray when I found him. He was a few weeks old, but old enough to look for himself and be wary of strangers. I has to lure him with some treats :) The rest is just history!

Trellum, Feb 16, 2014
  3. Mocha&Latte

wahmed Active Member

I adopted mine from my friend. She breeds her cat and gives them away for free yearly

wahmed, Mar 18, 2015
  4. Mocha&Latte

Anne Well-Known Member

My son found Twinkle while he was driving on the Highway. He had come to a round about and based on what he told me, he almost run him over. I have no way of knowing if the story is 100 % accurate because my son has a way of wanting to save most animals so I don't know if he tweaked the story a bit. Whatever the case, I believe he tried to find her a home at one of his friends before he brought home this little bundle of joy to present to me. The rest is history in more ways than one.:(

Anne, Mar 18, 2015
    icekat and Herman&Eddie like this.
  5. Mocha&Latte

Anne, whatever your son did, he did it well ;) I wish that if I found a cat I wanted to give to my mom... I could come up with a story that is dramatic and cute enough to charm her enough to keep said cat. Hehehe! I said that because I know you were a dog person before oyu met your bundle of joy.

Trellum, Apr 8, 2015
    icekat likes this.
  6. Mocha&Latte

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Our cat have found there ways into our lives through several avenues. One time, one of my son's teachers had a cat that was not getting along with her dog in the house, and causing too much commotion.

Another time, we went to the pet store and got a brother and sister. We have also stopped along the road, where someone had recently had a litter of cats and picked up two brothers.

Our Herman, was rescued from the Human Society and our Eddie was from my one of my son's friend house whose cat had a litter and looking for new homes. We have, actually, had quite a few pets in our house over the years, but the above mentioned come to my mind immediately. I will probably feel bad to have had left a few out of my list, when I give this question more thought!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 13, 2015
  7. Mocha&Latte

icekat Active Member

We have a looong history of adopting lost and/or abandoned cats. I have never been able to stand an absence of cats in my life, so anytime we find one that's scrawny, ragged, etc., we take it in, check around to see if it belongs to anyone, and if not, it's our baby. I don't think I'd ever buy a cat or dog.

icekat, May 11, 2015
  8. Mocha&Latte

Anne Well-Known Member

Reading your post made me smile. You take them in no matter how scrawny or ragged. That's very sweet. I wonder when another will walk into my life. Lord knows my hands are so full with the dogs.

You are very good with words Trellum, I am sure you can convince mom to bend. I believe you can convert her actually. You know my story well. It was a dog and nothing more but like you said the bundle of joy whose stay was brief forever changed my life.

Anne, May 11, 2015
    icekat likes this.
  9. Mocha&Latte

Thank you, Anne :) I think my mom wont give away her dog after all! So who knows, she might want to keep a cat nearby, maybe if I try to convince her a cat would be nice pet and help her control the rat population in the house.. she might actually like it. I'd not expect her to keep it as an indoors cat though, but the fact she would feed him, get him to get his rabbies shot and pet him would be a big win for me.

Trellum, May 12, 2015
  10. Mocha&Latte

Briannagodess Member

We adopted several cats when I was young. They were Miki, Baet, Sunget, Junior and Ganda. I loved those cats so much and cried buckets when we have to leave them at our house (my aunt took care of them) as we moved to the city. I never saw them again, most of them died already and others ran away, as told by my aunt.:(

Briannagodess, Jul 2, 2015
  11. Mocha&Latte

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have two cats. The first one, Harley was six years old when I adopted him from a woman who had him since he was a kitten. She had developed an allergy to cats after heart surgery so she needed to find him a new home. The moment I laid eyes on him, I was in love. He is a Russian Blue who weighs over 20 lbs. and he is so lovable. When I adopted him she told me he didn't like to be held or snuggled but that sure changed when he came to live with us. He have nicknamed him "Mr. Lovable" because of how affectionate he is. We've had him for three years now.

My another cat, Merle. We named him Merle because that is the sound he makes when he is walking around the house looking to get in trouble. He is full of personality and always seeing what he can get into. Nothing gets by him. He is so much fun to have around. There is never a dull moment. Unlike Harley, Merle adopted us. The woman in the apartment below us decided she just didn't want him anymore and threw him outside to take care of himself. We brought him in with intentions of finding him a good home but before too long her stole our hearts and we couldn't let him go. He was only about 8 months old at the time. We've had him for almost two years now. He is another kitty who loves to snuggle but only on his time. He loves to sleep between us. He also adores my grand daughter. Whenever she comes to visit, he follows her everywhere she goes.

They are great entertainment and awesome company. For the most part they get along pretty good. I love my kitties and I can't imagine my life without cats.

Susan Brown, Jul 6, 2015
  12. Mocha&Latte

icekat Active Member

Our cats always find us! I would never dream of buying a cat or dog, when the shelters are running at full capacity. We have a new baby, who started coming around a couple of weeks ago. He is a big cat, but quite emaciated. He seems to have an old injury to his leg, maybe a break that was never set. :( My son named him Hobo, and he's already decided to stay with us, and be our outside kitty. That's how we get most of them. I will never turn one away! :)

icekat, Jul 11, 2015
  13. Mocha&Latte

plump237 New Member

I'm not sure how common this is, but I met my cat when I went outside to take out the trash, and a stray cat just walked inside my house like he lived there. It was a really tough time, we just lost our family cat who had been with us for 12 years and we weren't planning on getting anymore pets, because we took her death hard, but this cat just walked in our home and sat down and meowed at us. My Mom and I looked at each other, and then looked at this beautiful tabby...I said "Do I know you?", and the rest is history. He's been with us now about 6 years.

plump237, Jul 14, 2015
    icekat likes this.
  14. Mocha&Latte

icekat Active Member

Honestly this same thing happened to my daughter! She lost her best friend, a grey tabby, after 12 years, and she was despondent. She couldn't even consider another kitty. About two weeks after her buddy died, a tiny barely weaned solid black kitten showed up in our driveway, howling his head off! She went out and got him, and he adopted her as his person from then on. When she's in her room, he will stand outside and scratch her door and "call" her, just like her other baby used to do! Strange...

icekat, Jul 17, 2015
Ask a Question