Are your cats afraid of thunder?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by SheWolfSilver, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

Belligerent Well-Known Member

We had a really bad storm the other day. My cat Mama slept through it, while I was freaking out because I had never heard thunder so loud in my life! this is saying something as I live in texas and we have bad storms all of the time. The thunder was so loud that it shook the entire apartment and tons of car alarms went off. It was hilarious though because I accidentally rustled a bit of plastic and she got really startled. Funny how that bothered her but the thunder didn't

Belligerent, Jun 1, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

My kitten is terrified of thunder, she hates loud noises. She always tries to cuddle my boyfriend and I and if we're not home she tends to hide under tables, chairs the bed anywhere she can get under and hide

BeautifulAngel, Sep 11, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats aren't too bad, they get a little annoyed, and confused, its like they know something is going on but they are not sure what. I usually give them extra attention during thunder storms and we sometimes stand at the front door and watch the storm, they actually really like watching the storm!

Scottyxx, Sep 12, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Ours aren't scared of thunder, but then again they were strays so they were probably used to it. They of course dislike the vacuum cleaner. But the one that really freaks them out is the air compressor we have. It will kick on randomly and if they are near it when it happens, they're flying across the room.

OhioTom76, Sep 13, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

Viola Member

We have never had a cat who was afraid of thunder although I know many dogs who are. Ours hate the rain, which is hardly surprising, but they also seem to get agitated when there is particularly heavy rain that pounds on the roof and windows.

Viola, Sep 15, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

firefly New Member

my cats scared of thunder i cuddle with him and give him treets to make him feel better

firefly, May 6, 2013
  7. SheWolfSilver

jules Active Member

My cat is not too bothered by thunder but when it's quiet and somebody suddenly sneezes, it sprints down to the basement. It gets very jerky when there is sudden loud sounds. It has already gotten used to the sound of the vacuum cleaner and other loud sounds but sneezing always scares him badly.

jules, Jun 1, 2013
  8. SheWolfSilver

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat isn't afraid of thunder, but my small, yappy dog will hide under my desk, by my feet when he hears thunder. If I'm not at my desk, he hides under the bed or under whatever chair I happen to be sitting in.

ACSAPA, Jun 12, 2013
  9. SheWolfSilver

Trellum Well-Known Member

Not my cat, but my dogs definitely are! They're both so afraid of thunder! They like to run under the blankets when they hear a thunder, my brave guardians :D But Bob seems to be more apathetic! He doesn't seem to care about the thunders. I guess he's a really brave boy. I can't understand why my dogs get terrorized everytime we have a thunder storm, I mean... why doesn't my cat too?! I'm quite sure he can hears them.

Trellum, Nov 20, 2013
  10. SheWolfSilver

Hahah, my cat is the same :p He couldn't care less about thunder, but if he hears someone sneezing... he goes a bit paranoic and runs like the wind! It's so funny, sometimes my cousins pretend like they're sneezing for real all of a sudden :D They do it just to watch Bob's reaction... which is always the same! I'm starting to get bored of watching him do that :p

Trellum, Nov 20, 2013
  11. SheWolfSilver

steph84 Well-Known Member

I live in super sunny Southern California so we don't get too many fun thunderstorms, but I can tell that my kitties get scared even if we have a little rain. They do not like the loud noises and just crouch down when things get too loud. My poor kitties.

steph84, Nov 27, 2013
  12. SheWolfSilver

Aww :( I guess that must be because they're not used to that kind of noises :) If you lived in a place with a lot thunderstorms... they'd surely stop feeling so scared everytime they hear thunder. Still, poor kitties! My mom's australian cattle dog was terrified by thunder! to the extreme he'd do anything he could to get inside our home!

Trellum, Nov 27, 2013
  13. SheWolfSilver

amy005 Well-Known Member

I have a two month old kitten and she doesn't seem to really be effected by the thunder. There was a thunder storm here a few weeks after I adopted her but she didn't seem to notice anything was even going on. I was kind of surprised because I thought most cats or kittens get scared of this sort of thing.

amy005, Dec 9, 2013
  14. SheWolfSilver

Maybe she didn't even paid attention to that because she was still getting use to your house? As cats get more comfortable, they start to display this kind of behaviours. But each cat is different, so she might actually never show any fear to thunder or other loud noises. In my experience most cats that live indoors do sooner or later.

Trellum, Dec 13, 2013
Ask a Question