Your food dish is NOT empty

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere that cats have a difficult time seeing what's right under their nose. Then again, they got a pretty keen sense of smell so why they can't sniff their way to it surprises me.

We had a period of time when Gemma would throw up after eating. We think it's because she would eat too fast. Gemma learned to slow way down when she eats and now takes forever. Rosco now has the fast pace eating problem and we serve him with what's called an exer-egg. Its an egg shaped feeder with adjustable holes in it that determines how much play is required to get kibbles to fall out. Rosco seems to slowed down but won't eat out of the bowl now. He like's the egg.

MER, Jun 20, 2016
  2. Jessi

cluckeyo Active Member

Daisy always leaves food in his bowl. But when he is out, he really lets you know. He meows real loud and gets in your foot path, so he just about trips you. That is a sure sign that he wants more crumbles!

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
  3. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

The two babies I got now are really good (strange really), that they don't cry cry cry for food. I guess its because we put their dish down probably 4 times a day for them to snack.

MER, Jun 27, 2016
  4. Jessi

cluckeyo Active Member

I used to set the crumbles on a little plate. He kind of made a mess of that and never finished before he was asking for more. I now put it in kind of a deep bowl. He seems to like this better. Makes no mess and eats it all up before griping.

cluckeyo, Jul 27, 2016
  5. Jessi

Novelangel Active Member

Yup. This is pretty much a universal symptom of catness. They just can't eat if they can see the bottom of the bowl. My girl doesn't have to worry much because I know cats and I seldom allow her dish to get that empty in the first place. I think she worries more about her water dish. If it gets a little too empty, I will hear it clinking against the wall because she's pushing it around, trying to tell me she's 'dying' of thirst. :p

Novelangel, Aug 17, 2016
  6. Jessi

Byron nelson Active Member

My new kitty always seems to want fresh food. I can pick up a half eaten dinner and mix it with fresh food. It’s almost like she picks out the fresh stuff as she is so dainty when she eats. I guess I’m still used to my dogs gulping everything then turning the bowl over . I fed them at exact times each day or meal.at one point when they becam picky I put the dish down for a lites time say 15 minutes then picked it up. No more ubtill the next scheduled meal. High energy high drive dogs figure this one out quickly. It’s been very hot and dry here so it’s possible the good dries out or even gets sour. I don’t like leftovers left out all day either. So I have gone to smaller amounts per meal. This seems better and I don’t toss as much out. I did try moistened dry food but that got the cover it up treatment. Cat is training me.LOL

My kitty is not a treat fan she will eat a couple small bites at a time but that’s it. So far I haven’t found anything she will grab an hold on to not even small rib bones . The best I’ve gotten was to pick it up and mouth it s little. If I make like I’m going to take it away she just looks at me like” I really don’t like it anyway” even wet food like fish or meats are ho him what else do you have. My dogs though everything was s treat. They looked at me like what else can I do to get more treats.

I just reduce meals in the summer to what gets eaten at the time. They can have more later but need to indicate by standing over the empty dish . That seems to be best in this weather..
    Byron

Byron nelson, Jul 24, 2021
  7. Jessi

Byron nelson Active Member

My kitty is a picky eater too. I just rearrange her food dish and she will finish. It’s been so hot here that I think the dry food gets old or maybe rancid. last night she surprised me. She ate all her food right down to the last piece then dragged the dibowl out and tipped it over. I gave her more and she chowed down again. She was really skinny but she has filled out a little now. I’m seeing signs of winter fur so that’s good. I gave her three small mouse toys I had in the catnip bag today and she played a few minutes with each. Again she laid in my lap and put a paw on my arm as the in home nurse drew my bi weekly blood sample.
    mom not worried about the virus. I walked a mile up the rod to the bank this morning then stopped at the grocery store. Neither required a mask . The in home nurse has full body suit so I use my mask as courtesy for her. None of the delivery drivers wear masks fed ex prime, or ups. Not even the postal delivery. So all that has not reached the north lands. Prices have gone up a lot groceries 20% in the last two weeks. Gas was $3.19 to day. I have a young college guy cut my grass but it’s been so hot and dry that the grass has gone dormant and I all brown. He works just like I did to go to college. I’m going to pay him for the 3 mowings he has to miss the next time he mows. Also a fall tip when he goes back for the winter classes. I admire the work ethic he had shown.

byron

Byron nelson, Aug 7, 2021
Ask a Question