Your cat food recipes

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Becky, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

If you have any cat food recipes, please share them here :)

Becky, Dec 1, 2011
  2. Becky

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

KITTEN DELIGHT

1/3 slice of white bread
    1/8 cup Milk
    1/8 cup Chicken or other clear broth
    Pour milk and chicken broth into a mixing bowl.
    Tear 1/3 slice of bread into tiny bits, then dump into the mixing bowl.
    Heat in the microwave for approximately 1 minute. When finished, let cool then serve to kitten.

Wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011
    Belligerent likes this.
  3. Becky

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Here's one which I use now and then.

Cook rice with anchovy. Or salted fish. Then share with your cat. In my case, I add carrots and my cats like that, too.

Victor Leigh, Jan 2, 2012
  4. Becky

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Interesting recipe. I think I'll try that for my kitty. It seems like something she'd love. So the white bread is okay for them to eat, I suppose?

Belligerent, Jan 15, 2012
  5. Becky

magickat Well-Known Member

I think my cats would like both those recipes so I will give them a try. I like to give them as varied a diet as possible.

magickat, Jan 20, 2012
  6. Becky

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I have been looking for some healthier versions of wet food for my kitties, especially my little asthmatic baby.

I haven't got to try this one yet:

Chicken, Rice and Vegetables2 cups of ground or chopped chicken, cooked
    1 cup of cooked brown rice
    ¼ cup grated carrots
    Put chicken, brown rice and carrots in a blender and mix well. If there is any fat from the chicken, pour about two teaspoons over the mix. Serve at room temperature.

I would also be careful of giving your cat too much white bread. It has a lot of sugar in it and can give them problems.

HappyRocinante, May 27, 2012
  7. Becky

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ya know what, I make our dog's food, but I don't actually make it for our cats. When I was doing the research for the former, though, I gathered a bunch of info on the cats, too. I should really get an article put together with all of that and share it here. :)

Jessi, May 28, 2012
  8. Becky

Mystique Well-Known Member

Interesting. I never given much thought on preparing food for my cats. It's either cat food or food that I cook for us, which they seem to enjoy as well. It may not be healthy for the cats :D but they seem fine for now.

Victor, I wish I could get salted fish here - I miss salted fish, especially the salty-sour ones. Not sure if you have come across it in Malaysia - mostly it is made of 'ikan terubuk'. In the past, my late mother used to feed our cats - rice and anchovies. That worked when no one bothered to remind someone to buy the cat food!

Mystique, May 29, 2012
  9. Becky

Ja'cobeC Member

Thanks for the tips on the recipes. I will make a few of these and see if my cat likes it. I could save a lot of money make it instead of buying all the high price food.

Ja'cobeC, May 30, 2012
  10. Becky

tajnz Well-Known Member

Great recipes. I admit I'm another person who never really put much thought into making my own cat food. I'm guilty of buying all my cat food from the supermarket or pet store. :oops: Although I probably won't make my own cat food daily it might be a good idea to start making some every third day perhaps. I'll see how my cat responds first to my cooking ha ha. ;)

tajnz, Jun 26, 2012
  11. Becky

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I have heard making cat food for cats can be a really great idea! I would suspect it would have a good effect on the overall health of your cat. I can just see it now! You could diet with your kitty! How wonderful could that be! I do know a friend who did start having to cook for their cat when they developed major allergies. It can help control salt intake for them, especially if the options are wet or dry food. This is a very good idea! I think I will look into some options too.

Has anyone posted anything on treats people can home make for their cats? Those would be neat!

QuatreHiead, Jun 28, 2012
  12. Becky

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

Here is the recipe I am using now.

3Lbs chicken thighs/skin/bones
    2C water
    5000mg Fish oil
    400 IU Vitamin E
    50mg Vitamin B Complex
    2000mg Taurine
    3/4 tsp Moton's Lite salt with Iodine
    4 oz Chicken Liver

As for how to make it, check out this link. Recipe was made by a vet and she has lots of interesting information about raw food diet and how dry food is not healthy. Since I quit feeding dry food my asthmatic cat has quit having his symptoms. Totally convinced me it was worth it.

HappyRocinante, Jul 5, 2012
  13. Becky

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I know the ones you are talking about. I think it's called ikan pekasam. Kind of like fermented with rock salt and cooked rice. It's a bit more expensive, though.

Perhaps you still remember keropok, fish crackers? My cats like that very much, too. I cannot eat it without sharing it with them. Sometimes I crush a couple of pieces of fried keropok and mix it with rice to feed my cats. Add a dash of budu and they are very happy.

Here's something to entice you to come back home soon:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jul 7, 2012
  14. Becky

Mystique Well-Known Member

Yes, ikan pekasam is pricier than normal salted fish. I love it!

Haha - how can I forget fish crackers - I grew up with them. Rice, keropok, and 'kicap manis cap kipas' were my favourite dish during primary school. In fact, they are still my favourite meal and I can't wait to go home to have some! I should bring back some fish crackers to Cape Town, as I haven't come across any here.

Mystique, Jul 16, 2012
  15. Becky

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

It seems like it would be healthier for cats to eat food prepared at home with love, rather than machine made food from a factory that is full of preservatives. This is a great idea that just never occurred to me.

And we learned about Malaysian snacks from Victor. Those fish crackers look delicious. :)

ACSAPA, Jul 16, 2012
  16. Becky

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

When making your own cat food you have to be very careful that you include all the suppliants a cat needs to live (such as Taurine) as you can actually harm your cat! A taurine deficiency will make them blind!

Get raw meat and buy an all in one cap supplement, you can find online, mix it with the raw meat then you have a complete balanced diet for your kitty.

Scottyxx, Sep 20, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  17. Becky

steph84 Well-Known Member

I always give my cats my tuna juice or put some chicken broth into their kibble. They love the warm chicken broth and just lap it up. You can do the same with turkey broth too. Good tip for the upcoming holidays!

steph84, Oct 4, 2012
  18. Becky

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

Just like humans, one of the biggest triggers of asthma when it comes to food is sulfates. Be aware of them and search product labels. They can show up in surprising places because, among other things, they are used as a preservative, though are often also a byproduct of fermentation.

BTCGuru81, Apr 6, 2013
  19. Becky

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Do not give cats store bought ground chicken unless you want to cook it, it has far too many bad bacteria from sitting in the grocery store / being ground. But really, a cat should not be getting cooked food, they should be getting raw food. Also CATS NEED TAURINE TO SURVIVE!! Their body cannot make it, and they need ti from their food. You really should buy a cat food natural supplement if you plan on making them your own food. You can get Taurine from mushing up animal hearts and what not, but it is really important.

Scottyxx, Apr 11, 2013
  20. Becky

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

We used to just make chicken and rice for our cat. In addition, we also fed her some fish and things. On top of that, she would be given some of the vegetable soup my dad would cook. It seemed to keep her healthy. We never did anything very special with the chicken and rice we made her. It was just boiled.

GavinMcresty, May 1, 2013
Ask a Question