Yacky Zack is back!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Kay Dougall, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Kay Dougall

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Wow, last week, I thought we were going to have to put our lovin' Zacky to sleep.
    Five years ago, my black cat Ben Jamin died. I think a piece of my soul died with him. I still miss him terribly. But I knew we had to rescue another cat in need, so we went to the local kill shelter. There was a 10-year old tuxie curled up in the back of a cage. One of his owners had died and the other had been put in a nursing home, so he had been thrown away to the shelter. It looked like he had just given up, so we took him home.
    He turned out to be the yackinest cat I've ever had. Just love how he gets in every conversation. Two years ago, he went blind. We ran ever test we could afford, but the conclusion was that there was something in his brain (inoperable). It hasn't slowed him down--he's such a champion! Boldly climbs the back of the sofa, get up on Benny's purple pillow on my writing desk, runs up and down the stairs.
    About a week ago, something happened. He started walking in circles, lost his sense of smell, could not find water, food or his litter box, listless. Blood tests were normal. We put him on prednisone, and within two days, he had made a miraculous recovery! I think he had a fall, maybe hit his head and caused some swelling in the brain.
    There is no good time to lose a companion you love, but we just weren't quite ready to lose Zacky. And it looks like he is going to be around for a while longer. Whew!
    075.JPG

Kay Dougall, Mar 9, 2015
  2. Kay Dougall

Anne Well-Known Member

I can so relate to lost. When I lost my Twinkle I too believe I lost a part of my soul. Your story touched me deeply and I pray that your Zacky stays with you for as long as possible. What I also took from your story is that you went out and gave new life to another cat. I applaud you for that. That however, is the hard part for me right now. Often I feel so guilty about his death. I hope I can find it in my heart to adopt another but God knows I never want to feel that pain again or make the same mistakes.

Anne, Mar 10, 2015
  3. Kay Dougall

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to hear your kitty made it, his symptoms sound rather scary! Glad he made it, you must have such a good vet helping you out! Finding a good bet can be as hard as finding a good mechanic. I hope your zacky gets to have even more birthdays surrounded by your nice and caring family! Thanks for rescuing a cat from a kill shelter!

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
Ask a Question