Worried about rehoming

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Indecisive1, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Indecisive1

Indecisive1 New Member

I have some older kittens that I’ve had for about 6 months. I had planned on getting them adopted but they had medical issues that kept cropping up and it took longer to get eveeything under control than i expected.
    They’re okay now but I have grown attached and will be sad to see them go, if and when they are asopted. I am also concerned about them. I have never done anything like this before and since they’ve only known me and my family, I’m concerned about them being with new people. They were about 5-6 weeks when I took them in but they were, technically, feral. They are still not completely comfortable with the iother people in the house.
    Is there anything that I can do to make it easier for them if they get adopted? I don’t know how they will react to potential adopters, since they’re not great around other people. They don’t bite. I am worried about them getting too stressed.

Indecisive1, Feb 24, 2019
  2. Indecisive1

Becky Well-Known Member

You could make sure that each has a blanket that smells familiar, that should give them comfort during their adjustment period. Make sure that whoever adopts them understands that they might take a while to warm up to new people and will need some space while they get used to their new surroundings.

As hard as it is for us humans, they will be fine once they adjust.

Becky, Feb 26, 2019
  3. Indecisive1

Byron nelson Active Member

I had to regime but Australian shepherd and it was the sadder thing I’ve had to do. Medical issues. However she went to a training home that trained where we did. I gave a list of 75 distinct commands with her so she is doing fine I question everyday when I go for my walks if I did the right thing.. I think it will help that I now have a rescue cat that I can love and train. I’ll post a picture as soon as I can get a nice one. She is a little scrawny as she had kittens but the rescue said she was an angel.

Byron nelson, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Indecisive1

catalone Member

Just give them space and a safe place , access to food, and let them come to you in their own time.

catalone, Jul 17, 2021
  5. Indecisive1

Byron nelson Active Member

I think that’s good. My kitty was very nervous when she arrived it was a long trip in hot weather however the transporter did take good care of her. I have a fresh litter box all set up and a feeding station snd soft bedding in different placed. I just let her wander around then I showed her where the litter box was and guided her to it . So far no problems at all. She sits on my lap sleeps on the bed or under it on a blanket and she has found all the open windows to rest in. She gets her daily food after trying a variety and cat treats. She is welcome on the counters and even my kitchen table. She even sat in my lap while the traveling nurse did a blood test on me. The virus does not go from animals to Humans or opposite. I even made a mask for her but she doesn’t like that yet. LOL.

byron

Byron nelson, Jul 20, 2021
Ask a Question