Worming feral cats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Janet Ford, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Member

What is the best way to worm feral cats? I have six of them that I can't get near and trapping them would be traumatic. I did live trap one once. It didn't go well! It freaked out so bad I was terrified she would break her neck or back so hurried to open it. I've since learned I need to blanket over them. I may try again (so I can get them altered) but even if I trap them, worming could be dangerous. Is there a way to safely worm them in their food when it's more than one cat? DE, perhaps?

Janet Ford, Oct 25, 2015
  2. Janet Ford

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

That sounds like it may be tricky to get all the cats treated. I am not sure how you would go about it. You could put it in their food but it would be difficult to know if all the cats were being treated. I googled it and there was lots of information but most of them suggested trapping the cats which wouldn't work in your situation. Good luck and keep us posted if you find a way that works.

Susan Brown, Oct 25, 2015
    Janet Ford likes this.
  3. Janet Ford

RealDMat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've always just used the humane traps. Once had a kitty hide in one of my walls when I still lived in Chicago, and I had to use this method because the Fire Dept. refused to do anything about it!

RealDMat, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think you should really use those traps. I have seen cats with worms sticking out their butts and is not pretty at all. I feel so sorry for them! I saw this happen with my in laws' cat and oh boy... you forget to give them one dose of that worming med and you will definitely see it!

Trellum, Oct 25, 2015
    RealDMat likes this.
  5. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Member

Willing to take volunteers to administer the wormer after I trap them. ;) Actually, just live trapped one that I'd been working on gaining some trust from. It was an accidentally trapping as my husband was actually attempting to live trap a raccoon and got Bobby instead (thus named because she looks like a bobcat). I did not envy him having to open the trap door so she could get out. Releasing the raccoons and the opossum he live trapped a week ago were MUCH easier/safer feeling to release and less traumatized being in there. Worming a tame housecat can be dangerous. I want them healthy but cat scratch fever is a real danger and I'm sure they'd nail me. I'm working hard at gaining their trust. Most will come to the feed dish with me sitting next to it, now. Cats, like Bobby, will hiss like crazy at me but I sit silently anyhow. One day ... For what it's worth, they look phenomenally healthy.

Janet Ford, Oct 27, 2015
  6. Janet Ford

@Janet Ford Bobby reminds me of my in laws' cat, the only difference is that he is much less fierce (he was a stray with little human contact) and I often think how scary would be if he suddenly lost it D: So I can imagine how your husband felt! So scary, plus I think that will not help a lot with the matter of the trust. By the way, how do you guys know bobby is a she?

Trellum, Oct 27, 2015
  7. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Member

Because she has had a couple litters of kittens here. I was able to sex two kittens from a previous litter that I've been trying to calm by peeking behind them when they were eating. They are adolescents now. One boy, one girl.

Janet Ford, Oct 28, 2015
  8. Janet Ford

Ah, that makes sense then! I was wondering how you guys could have done that, she sounds so ferocious! But I think she must trust you guys at least a bit, specially if she gave birth so close to the property.

Trellum, Oct 28, 2015
  9. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Member

She's not ferocious (though she certainly would appreciate someone thinking so!). She is scared of everyone. Trying so hard to win her over. Of course, I've been trying for a couple years now. She's better, just slow. At least now I can see her. Before she hid more than she was seen. She will also eat with me nearby, though she hisses at me the whole time.

Janet Ford, Oct 30, 2015
Ask a Question