Will Your Cat Publicly Catch Mice?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dashboardc33, Aug 6, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

My cat never used to let me see her catch mice. One day last week I was outside and I saw her catch a mouse right in front of me. I was able to see the entire event from her catching it, killing it and chowing down on it. I thought that most cats do this in private, but my cat didn't seem to mind me standing right over her watching. How about your cat? Will she catch mice with you around?

dashboardc33, Aug 6, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I only remember a few times seeing them catch mice... or more accurately, play with them.
    Neko would just toy with them and play with it until it died. Then she'd walk away.
    Neither of my cats are big on eating mice. I've always found them dead and always seen them just walk away.

Epicfied, Aug 6, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nah. I suppose they'll catch them publicly, but like Epicfied said, neither will actually eat them. They only see them as play things and then discard them when they stop moving.

Jessi, Aug 7, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat stays indoors because we're in a city apartment. She caught a gecko once and I was upset because I think small lizards are kind of cute.

ACSAPA, Aug 7, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Epicfied Well-Known Member

That's sad, but kind of neat that she somehow found and caught a gecko... inside?

Epicfied, Aug 7, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Beth23 Well-Known Member

My cats hunt right in front of anyone. I think they are showing off sometimes. They work together and tag team their prey. Usually chip will flush it out and Kiki will pounce on it. They don't kill and eat them though. They play with whatever it is. Both are very proud of themselves to. We have a cat door and I can't tell you how many times they bring a chipmunk in and drop it at my feet. It then scrambles off and my husband and I spend the day trying to catch it.

Beth23, Aug 9, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

blackcapped Active Member

My cats are all different. One doesn't seem to like to hunt at all. The other two hunt frequently and will do so right in front of other people/animals. We have never had a problem with mice though. Usually, our cats will catch rabbits and frogs.

blackcapped, Aug 9, 2012
Ask a Question