Why feed your cats a certain amount of cat food everyday?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, May 2, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Cats can develop health conditions if they start losing weight after being heavier. The vet told us that cats that lose weight too fast after they have been heavier, may develop other health conditions. It must be important then to make sure they eat on a regular schedule. I feed my cats around 7:30 in the morning, and then, I feed them the same time in the evening.

Jenny Heart, May 2, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

btatro Well-Known Member

I just leave a bowl of dry food out for my cat. She never over-eats and is a healthy weight so I guess what works for some cats does not work for others, and vice versa.

btatro, May 3, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

violino Well-Known Member

This is me as well. My cat's don't eat everything they've got in a bowl, like dogs usually do. They eat a little bit, then in an hour another bit and another and till the bowl is empty. Then I can give them more. But usually I give them in the morning and in the evening and not much, in fact. They eat even less than they write on cat's food.

violino, May 4, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't have my cat Dolores on a specific schedule. She eats when she's hungry and she doesn't seem to overeat. She's a active cat and doesn't have any weight problems that I can see.

ACSAPA, Jul 24, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have some fussy eaters. So I cannot leave the food there in the bowl. I have to put just enough for them to finish. Then keep the left-overs.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

dconklin Active Member

I have always fed canned food on a schedule but then left a certain amount of dry food in a dish. I used to really have to limit the amount that was always available so my female didn't overeat, but there was access to food. Now she doesn't overeat as much, she eats a little less now that she is older and less active. I don't like the dry food to sit out for longer then a day so I try to adjust the amount that I give her in her bowl to about what she would eat in a day. If it is not enough, I will give her more.

dconklin, Jul 24, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

I gave them a special schedule based on the vets decision. They used to be overweight because I always have left the food out and let them eat it whenever they want . Don't worry because now but now they are on a good weight .
    :)

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
  8. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

Did he say why Jenny? My cat is heavy and I wanted to put him on a diet, but if he is going to have health problems then I don't know. He is getting a pouch under his tummy.

steph84, Feb 1, 2014
  9. Jenny Heart

Trellum Well-Known Member

This is so interesting, I had no idea that cats shouldn't lose weight too fast! By the way, humans shouldn't lose weight too fast either, because we are more prone to certain health issues as well. I wonder what health risks are associated with a cat losing weight too fast!

Trellum, Apr 2, 2015
Ask a Question