Why cats like scratching trees or posts.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Nov 24, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

Have noticed that cats like scratching trees outside or post. If there is no tree around they will scratch you sofa. Have also noticed how cats match on one spot with there front legs so can someone please explain all these. Does your cat do the same things or its just my cat being weird.

kat74, Nov 24, 2011
  2. kat74

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

All cats generally do this probably because it feels good, and to trim their claws (though I don't know if they know they're doing that). Claws which are overgrown will probably curl under and cause pain to their footpads (unless they scratch or their humans trim 'em). The trick seems to be finding a surface they'll use as a scratch-post. Max loves his cat condo surfaces which are intended for scratching, but I have a scratching post which is much lower that he never uses, even though it has the same scratch-post material. They need to stretch whilst they scratch too, though some cats prefer to scratch on horizontal surfaces. Once you know what your cat likes you can respond accordingly.

I even pretended to scratch on Max's scratching area on his cat condo and he totally copied me. It was the cutest thing evarr!

MaxKitteh, Nov 27, 2011
  3. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

i always thought it was to look after their claws, all my cats scratch vertically so the stretching theory makes a lot of sense too. Unfortunately my cats seem to have decided that my new bed is their favourite scratching post!

magickat, Dec 1, 2011
  4. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I think cats do their scratching as a way to sharpen their claws. Maybe keep their claws in trim, too. If you have scratchy cats, you can get a scratching post for them. costs a little bit but still cheaper than getting scratches on your sofa. Here's a cat having a fun time with a scratch post:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
  5. kat74

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Phobos is really tall, and pretty much all of the commercial scratching posts I've seen are too small for him. Your cat has to be able to stretch up fully on the post, or they'll use things they can stretch up on, like furniture.

I make my own scratching posts out of 4x4 posts and sisal rope. Once they've pretty well destroyed the rope, I just go out and get new rope and put that on.

Wallie0921, Dec 1, 2011
  6. kat74

That's a good idea. Costs you less money and gets you a better product. btw how do you make the 4x4 stand up? What kind of base do you fix it to?

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  7. kat74

amillionducks Member

I burn wood during the winter, wood make a nice warm fire, except the flat pieces that are being used for scratching posts. They have bark on them and they LOVE them gave a piece to a friend and her 4 cats fight for it. They love the rough feeling, it makes a mess the first couple weeks but afterwards they are great.

amillionducks, Dec 2, 2011
  8. kat74

I just attach it to a piece of scrap plywood with L-brackets.

Wallie0921, Dec 3, 2011
  9. kat74

That's a good way of keeping the post upright. Maybe you can do that on a commercial scale and produce scratching posts for bigger cats.

Victor Leigh, Dec 3, 2011
  10. kat74

sammilynn Member

They do it because it's fun for one, and too keep their claws healthy. if they don't do this, their claws get too long and very sharp, so they scratch you a lot and themselves. This way, they can keep them in check.

I still have to get my cat's nails cut, because he doesn't have anything to scratch on that would actually help, but that's what they're doing.

sammilynn, Dec 3, 2011
  11. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

That sounds great. How do you attach the sisal material? So that it's safe to use for your cat.

Yolanda, Dec 3, 2011
  12. kat74

I wrap it really, really tightly so that there's minimal opportunity for the rope to come loose. Also, every few rows I put in a staple with a staple gun. Then I turn the stapled side towards the wall so that it encourages them to use the staple-less sides. It keeps them from getting scratched on the staples, and it also keeps them from pulling the staples out.

Wallie0921, Dec 6, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  13. kat74

I see. I would have thought that winding the sisa rope tightly around the post would have been sufficient. How about using some kind of glue to fix the sisa rope to the post after you wind it tightly?

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
  14. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I guess this could work if you use a type of glue that is animal friendly. So if they do scratch it off and lick or eat it, little to no harm will be caused to them.
    The reason why I think of this is because I have one cat (the one in the picture) that for some reason likes to lick the sisal rope? Lol...

Yolanda, Dec 7, 2011
  15. kat74

Lick? Maybe the sisal rope smells fishy. Did you try to smell the sisal rope to find out what's so attractive about it for your cat?

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  16. kat74

Belligerent Well-Known Member

It is an instinct to sharpen their claws. I have found that even declawed cats do it out of instinct (I have never declawed my cats, but my family has in the past). I recommend those little cardboard box scratching toys.. they look like this:

[​IMG]

Their claws will not get sharp with this thing, and they also won't get stuck like they do in furniture.. they are also cheap and every cat I've had has LOVED them.

Belligerent, Dec 8, 2011
  17. kat74

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I think it feels good to their toes, and it makes their nails sharpe so they can protect themself. My outside cats love to climb the trees, they love to climb right to the top.

Wahcashmom, Dec 9, 2011
  18. kat74

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I think scratching is a natural kitty instinct. I have scratching posts and the tribe uses them but Sunny seems to prefer the sofa and area rug to do her scratching.

Micheleteresa, Dec 15, 2011
  19. kat74

Becky Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great idea! Have you got any pictures?

Becky, Dec 15, 2011
  20. kat74

Alli Well-Known Member

My cats love their scratching posts- we have several. The Boots & Barkley pyramid one is super-cool. It is slanted, so my cats love to stretch out on it while they scratch.

Alli, Dec 22, 2011
Ask a Question