Whose kitties have extra toes?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Susan Brown, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My Merle has really big front feet. It's the biggest part of him. When he was a kitten he looked funny with the great big feet but now he has grown into them so it doesn't look quite so funny. Everybody always comments on his extra toes though.

Susan Brown, Jul 27, 2015
  2. Susan Brown

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awww, he sounds so cute with those big front paws! I'd love to see a picture of his feet, I'm really curious :) I have never seen a cat with extra toes to be honest, all the cats I have owned as pets have the usual amount of fingers in the paws.

Trellum, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Susan Brown

upload_2015-7-29_10-35-28.png

Here is a picture of Merle's big feet!! lol

Susan Brown, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Susan Brown

Anne Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding silly how many toes are there suppose to be?........ I checked and for the first time saw it's supposed to be 18? See what I told you? I really was not the most knowledgeable about cats and I can tell you now if Twinkle had 24 I could not love him more.

Apparently Merle has a lot of company. Here's a picture I found online of some company for her.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/21/polydactyl-cats_n_3631418.html

Anne, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Susan Brown

Awesome thank you for sharing that link. I love big pawed kitties. They look so cute, especially when they are kittens and there feet as so much bigger then them. lol
    Merle uses his paws like a hand because they are so big. He picks things up with them. It is so cute to watch him. He is one smart kittie.

Susan Brown, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Susan Brown

Anne Well-Known Member

I had to Google it as it was really news to me but when you stop and think of it really, I should not be surprise. There are many beautiful pictures online. I just had trouble downloading some. I wonder if I would have ever noticed had I seen one elsewhere. I am still learning a lot about cats. Maybe I will have one again..It's been just over a year now........Best regards to Merle. You are so blessed to have her.

Anne, Aug 13, 2015
  7. Susan Brown

LilAnn Well-Known Member

We had a stray for a while. She stayed outside, but we fed her and gave her a comfy bed out there. She got pregnant, and the entire litter was really messed up. As a matter of fact, none of the kittens survived. But one of those kitten only had 2 toes per foot. And the were long and skinny, too.

LilAnn, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Susan Brown

KimmyMarkks Active Member

My grandmas cat has extra toes on her paws. At first it looks like she just has really fluffy paws but when you looked closer she had extra toes. I wonder if this gives the cat any extra benefits for climbing? Also does anyone know if this is common among cats?

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
  9. Susan Brown

Susan Brown, Dec 10, 2015
  10. Susan Brown

Byron nelson Active Member

I haven’t checked my new Main mix. She does have a nice thumb claw on each side. Her little claws are like curved suture needles. I saw a lot of them playing hockey long befor the suits of sr or worn now. she uses them effectively to climb up my sweat pants leg. Hasn’t learned how to retract them yet. Ouch.
    She cl8mbed the blinds last night and I had to help unhook her thumbs.LOL.
    It’s 87;degrees so nap time today. I left her alone for the first time when I went for my afternoon walk. No problem. Hopefully she wii
    lol take to a harness and leash, then she can go with me. Waiting for name rag and break away collar. I have a vee connector for collar and harness- leash. Used this for years on my dogs. It’s just miniature for cats. It gives you a couple seconds to react if they start to back out.

Byron nelson, Jun 30, 2021
Ask a Question