Whole can vs. half can?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by andrew320, Sep 29, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320 Well-Known Member

We have two cats and they share an entire bowl of food all the time. I bought them a can of natural wet food because we were celebrating a birthday for one of them. I used half the can and filled up the entire bowl. Last time, I gave them an entire can and the eldest one got sick from it. My fiancee gave a full can a couple of times in the past year and it never happened.

So? Full can or half a can?

andrew320, Sep 29, 2012
  2. andrew320

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well how many times a day do you feed them?

Generally, a cat would need about a 6 oz can a day according to this:

http://www.catster.com/cat-food/how-much-should-i-feed-my-cat

So for two of them, you'd be feeding twice that much.... but likely half in the morning and half in the evening. Feeding them at different intervals should help them not get sick, too, for binging quickly.

Jessi, Sep 29, 2012
  3. andrew320

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I usually give them 1 can (a small can) per day but I split it into two portions, and mix some water in. Mixing water in helps make sure your cat is hydrated, and stops them from binging because it fills them up before they eat their own body weight!

Scottyxx, Sep 30, 2012
  4. andrew320

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

I have two cats and they have two separate food dishes next to each other. I usually toss in a quarter can of cat food into each of their dishes in the morning and then the rest of it in the evening. If one of them is getting sick because they're eating too much food you may want to try feeding them separately so you can better control the amount of food that they get.

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 30, 2012
    JES13 likes this.
  5. andrew320

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

We don't even give our cats a full can in a day, but we mix it with dry food so they are getting a little of both throughout the day.

OhioTom76, Oct 1, 2012
  6. andrew320

Trellum Well-Known Member

I give mine a small can in the morning, then later that day I give him some dry food. I give him wet food only on very special occasions, btw, so this doesn't happen often at all.

Trellum, May 1, 2014
  7. andrew320

JES13 Member

JES13, Aug 6, 2014
  8. andrew320

JES13 Member

I have 3 cats (one very old cat) and 2 indoor/outdoor cats - we always have dry food out, but for 'treats' I've found I just divide (now) one cat can, 1/2 in the morning (I cut it into thirds and put a spoonful of water on them, since the females are prone to U. C. ) - they generally don't eat it all anyway so I save left-over for when they come back inside (but not longer than 2-3 hours), my older cat has a thyroid condition so she's been finishing hers all up.... I used to worry if I was feeding them 'enough', but the two cats ARE rather 'big' (yes I worm them every 2 months or so) so I'm 'not worrying' anymore and they are doing fine...

The second 1/2 of the can when I am ready to feed them - I DO put some hot water in the (I assume you refrigerate the other half?) can food - just to warm up the food - as cold food is NOT good for them.... I let them warm up a bit....

Good luck have FUN <3

JES13, Aug 6, 2014
Ask a Question