Which breed?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by karen, Nov 16, 2011.

1. karen

karen New Member

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, please let me know if it isn't!

So I'm thinking about getting a cat. I've not had one since I was young and living at home when we had a tabby. I've been thinking about whether to go for a specific breed or not, and was just looking for some advice! I really like the look of the blue british shorthairs, and I've heard they are fairly easy to look after. Has anyone here got one? I'd love to hear a bit about what they are like. If I did go for a specific breed, how easy is it to find breeders? Are there any accreditations or anything I should look for?

The other part of me thinks I should just pick up a kitty that needs rehoming from the local cat rescue centre, but I'd be worried about picking a 'problem' cat which I don't have the expertise to look after properly. I really don't know what I'm looking for either! Has anyone here got any rescue cats?

Thanks in advance!

K x

karen, Nov 16, 2011
  2. karen

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Have you ever watched the show 'cats 101'? It gives you information about a specific breed of cat on all the important aspects like: grooming, inside/outside cat, health, etc. When you pick up a rescue cat there is always the chance of the cat/kitten having a problem, but if you go to a shelter my experience is that the people who work there are very honest about what the cat needs and what his or her character is. For example, if you are a young couple without children you can adopt a cat that can't live with small children, but might have no other problem otherwise. The good thing about picking up a cat in a shelter is that you are giving it a new chance to a happy and healthy life and the cat is already sterilized and got all his/her shots. When you buy a kitten you have the enjoyment of raising it yourself. Good luck with making you decision!

Here's the link to cats 101 about british shorthairs:

Yolanda, Nov 20, 2011
  3. karen

magickat Well-Known Member

I would definitely suggest picking up a kitty from a rescue centre that needs rehoming. "Moggies" are just as lovely pets as particular breeds and often healthier. Go to your local centre and see all the lovely kitties there - I'm sure one will choose you! You often get free insurance from these places too.

magickat, Nov 21, 2011
  4. karen

amy005 Well-Known Member

Hi there! I must say my one of my favorite breeds of cats is a Persian. They are gorgeous! If I had a choice and the money I would probably try to adopt one. Although I do agree that you should get a pet from a rescue center or humane society. I used to volunteer there and really there are tons of great cats. They are in so much more need then any cat you get from a breeder. Especially at the Humane Societys that put cats down :( Oh and like others have said, these cats are usually in good health since typically they will not keep the ones that are not of good health or let anyone adopt them. They also have been fixed and have their first shots taken care of.

amy005, Nov 21, 2011
  5. karen

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

If it were up to me, I'd get a Moggie from a shelter. Rescuing a cat is a great thing, and you can give a loving animal a great home. I only went with Burmese coz it was this breed or nothing (my girlfriend is not allergic to this breed). But, this is a great breed too. Very 'puppy' like and people-oriented.

MaxKitteh, Nov 27, 2011
  6. karen

Alli Well-Known Member

I agree with going for a rescue cat. If you really love a particular breed, there are breed rescue organizations that have unwanted cats that are purebred. Sometimes it isn't a problem cat in the sense of behavior but maybe cats with the "wrong" coloring or some other flaw that makes them unsuitable as a show cat. You can also look for a rescue organization that fosters the cats out- the foster person will know the personality of the cat and can alert you to any potential problems or quirks- they are usually very proactive about trying to get the right cat to the right family.

Alli, Nov 29, 2011
  7. karen

magickat Well-Known Member

I love "moggies" and almost every cat I have had is a moggie - they have all been wonderful. We had a Burmese kitten when I was a child but sadly he got run over when he was just 18 months old. All cats are beautiful in their own way - whatever you decide I agree with other posters that you should go to a shelter.

magickat, Dec 1, 2011
  8. karen

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

It depends on what you expect when you get a cat. If you want a pet that loves being groomed, then get a Persian. Their long, silky hair requires a lot of care to keep in fine order. If you want one that's easier to take care of, get a Siamese. They are short-haired. If you can get one with nine points, then it would be quite a find.

Anyway, you can save a bit of money just by getting a stray or one from a cat rescue home. Non-pedigreed cats are just as loving and lovable as those with long defined lineages.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
Ask a Question