Where do you feed your cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HappyRocinante, Jun 3, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I have two bowls set up for my kitties because they both have different habits. Mouth prefers not to eat on the floor; he thinks he is above it I guess.:rolleyes: So I have a bowl on a table that we don't use. Ninja doesn't care where he eats as long as he gets food so he has a bowl on the floor. Both bowls are in the kitchen with a small bowl of water. They don't drink that water though.

I had a cat who took to drinking my water out of a glass I had on the coffee table. Couldn't convince her that it wasn't hers and it started its own little tradition in the house. I keep a small glass of water on the coffee table, filled to the top for easy drinking, for the cats. I know they are spoiled!

HappyRocinante, Jun 3, 2012
    footballtim likes this.
  2. HappyRocinante

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

When I had my kitten I would put his food bowl and water bowl in the kitchen. I just figured we get our food their so they can too? haha. Plus we didn't really have room to put the bowls anywhere else.. My ex's place with packed, a very small 2 bedroom apartment that had my boyfriend, his brother and I, a massive dog, a fat cat and my kitten. It was pretty crowded!

BeautifulAngel, Jun 4, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

My cats eat in a kitchen, their bowls are on a kitchen unit;) It's because of my dog, when he was little he wanted to eat cats' food so we had to put their bowls somewhere where he can't reach. And cats got used to it.

violino, Jun 4, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

tajnz Well-Known Member

When I had cats I would keep their bowls in the kitchen. In a corner that isn't used so that they can eat in privacy. This worked fine but when it was time to feed them they would purr and brush against my leg in anticipation, which made it hard to actually get around and prepare their food. I also chose to feed them in the kitchen as if they are messy eaters and if the food spills on the floor the tiles are easy to clean.

tajnz, Jun 5, 2012
  5. HappyRocinante

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Tinker usually eats beside me on the couch while I'm on my laptop. He has diabetes. and just happens to be there beside me when it is time for him to eat, and then get his insulin. The other two cats usually eat in the room where their sleep room. They just like to eat in that room/

Jenny Heart, Jun 5, 2012
  6. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

The bowls used to be on the floor, but then the dog discovered he really liked kitty food and refused to leave it alone. Now they're up on a table and the cats have to hop up there first. They have separate bowls, though, and use them separately by choice, even if the other cat isn't there at the same time.

Jessi, Jun 5, 2012
  7. HappyRocinante

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty cool! My ex and I tried to do that with our cats however his cat always ate out of both bowls and ate all the food so my kitten wouldn't have any food to eat. It's pretty neat how your two cats will willfully eat out of different bowls.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 8, 2012
  8. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's the doing of the older cat. She hated the young one when we brought her in and was very territorial. She continues to use the same bowl she has had for years, which sort of forces the other one to use the other bowl. Given a few years' time, now the youngest just automatically goes to her own bowl anyway.

Jessi, Jun 9, 2012
  9. HappyRocinante

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat eats in the kitchen because it's tiled. I wouldn't want to be cleaning cat food out of carpet so it's easier to feed her in the kitchen where I can just clean up any spills with a sponge.

ACSAPA, Jul 21, 2012
  10. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

What does she eat out of? I don't generally get a mess with the cats eating like I would with a dog. Or is your cat just particularly messy? hehe

Jessi, Jul 21, 2012
  11. HappyRocinante

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Dolores eats out of a divided cat dish that holds food in one half and water in the other half. She is a bit of sloppy eater and sometimes I find bits of dry food or spilled water on the floor, so I feed her in the kitchen where I can clean up more easily.

ACSAPA, Aug 3, 2012
  12. HappyRocinante

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have a baker's rack in my kitchen and the lower shelf is just for my cats. I have two bowls for them there. They love that they do not have to stoop down so low to eat.

steph84, Aug 5, 2012
  13. HappyRocinante

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Its terrible but I feed my cats their wet food on the kitchen counter. We have tons of counter space and its in an area we don't use for cooking. Dry food and water bowl we keep on the floor in the foyer. We only feed them wet food twice a day so they eat and when they are done I clear the counter. I have to monitor how much my cat Kiki eats because of his diabetes and its just easier this way.

Before he got sick we always fed them in the foyer area but my mother would feed her cats on top of the counter and I would tell her how gross it is and she should feed them on the floor and here I am doing it myself.

Beth23, Aug 8, 2012
  14. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol, isn't that how it usually goes? We swear we won't turn into our parents...and then with things like this, we end up doing similar things anyway, even if for different reasons.

Jessi, Aug 8, 2012
  15. HappyRocinante

footballtim Well-Known Member

You are not alone with spoiling your pet. The cat in my avatar is Tabitha. We got her in Colorado in 2008. She has to have a glass of water on the table beside the bed. She also gets depressed if daddy has not given her a stroller ride in more than two days. She does not care where she eats as long as the food is down promptly.

footballtim, Aug 16, 2012
  16. HappyRocinante

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

My cat Mocha prefers to eat on top of the dining room table ( probably because she wants to feel human like :)) but she also likes being any place that's not on the ground. My latte just loves scattering the food all over the dining room table and while we ate, we really didn't want the smell of cat food on our table so we changed it into the kitchen floor, which doesn't bother him al ot, as long as he gets food.:););)

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
  17. HappyRocinante

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob has a bowl in the kitchen, I always keep his bowl of water there as well. I don't like the idea of putting a bowl of water and food in my room, because I don't like the idea of him eating there. I mean, not even I eat there, lol.

Trellum, Apr 2, 2015
Ask a Question