Where did you get your cats or kitties from?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catlover2, Sep 16, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Where did you get your cats or kitties from? I got Isabelle from a friend who could not keep her anymore. Lukas is one that I saw an ad in paper for and picked out on the farm that had a huge litter of cats. I could not imagine life without either of them, they bring me so much joy.

catlover2, Sep 16, 2010
  2. catlover2

nicola Active Member

We got Sophie from a breeder just outside where we live.
    She has show cats asweell.

nicola, Mar 17, 2012
  3. catlover2

Chloe Member

We got ours from a rescue group (they do the foster home thing since they don't have an actual shelter.)

Chloe, Mar 17, 2012
  4. catlover2

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I bought 2 of my cats from a pet store and the other cats are the babies of the two cats that I purchased. We have one just show up, but now she is gone. We can not find her anywhere, breaks my heart.

Wahcashmom, Mar 17, 2012
  5. catlover2

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Tigger and Booger were born feral in my garage and I took them in. My daughter found Bella and gave her to me.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 20, 2012
  6. catlover2

Afishy1 Member

I actually have kind of a funny story about my cat. I got him when I was in 8th grade. There were some neighbors of ours whose queen had some kittens that were unexpected. They put the kittens in a box on their front steps with a sign that said "free kittens". Well, my little brother knew how much I loved cats, so he grabbed one and ran home with it. When mom and dad found out, they told him that he had to go put it back and that they would think about it. Well, the neighbors refused to take it back, so my parents were kind of forced into saying yes to the little kitten staying. I can't say I complain.

Afishy1, Mar 22, 2012
  7. catlover2

Jessi Well-Known Member

My oldest we got 10 years ago when a friend of the family couldn't keep her as a kitten and offered her to us. I'm surprised we kept it actually because at that point, I was never allowed to have inside cats...only outside ones. The younger one was just picked out a couple years ago and was again, a friend of the family who offered it up. My sister had been wanting one of her own for a long while, so my mom finally caved to let her have one.

Jessi, Mar 22, 2012
  8. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Most of my cats came from the local wet market where their previous had abandoned them. Some just strolled in from the road. The only ones I bought were two Persians and a Chinchilla.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2012
  9. catlover2

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

One cat we found on Thansgiving by a bush in front of our house. One cat we got at my brother in laws house, who had more than he could handle, so we took one. Foxy was trapped in an engine when someone found him. Our friends called us, and ask us if we wanted him, and we said yes. He's our scat cat. He seems scared of things, and darts easily, but he's so cute, and we still love him. Zinger was hiding around the house of our neighbor's house, when we decided to try to catch him. I tempted him to come toward a food bowl I had for him. Then, I encouraged playing with him, and then he came close to me, and i just swoop him up, and he was ours. One cat was pitch black that my husband got off the roof of a house. He died a short time ago_One of the cats we found under our car when he was too young, His mother must have thought he was sick. He did live for 3 years with us, and he died about 4 years ago. We still have 3 cats, and love them all.

Jenny Heart, Apr 24, 2012
  10. catlover2

Mentalia Member

I got my cat from a Forster home. He was among his siblings, 3 more males and 2 female, the most active. His caretakers put an add in the Newspaper with the story of 5 kittens that were found next to a street in a box, abandoned.

He was about 8 weeks old when I got him and he is my first cat. When I made the decision to take him, I promised him to take care of him for the rest of his life. And here he is with me 12 years later; even moved to the US from Germany with me.

Mentalia, Apr 25, 2012
  11. catlover2

christina Active Member

My oldest cat Bubba was given to me from a friend in 10th grade! I got Fancy from my sister-n-law. Sally is Fancy's daughter. Gizzmo was basically dropped off at my house. Well he rode over here in my dad's truck! The rest of his brothers and sisters didn't make it! They were in the engine and I don't know where Gizzmo was. He was covered in black smoke like stuff!

christina, Apr 26, 2012
  12. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh, that's so sad. Makes me think of the trains used by the Nazis to transport the Jews. How did they get inside the engine?

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
  13. catlover2

btatro Well-Known Member

My last and most recent cat was a stray that we adopted. She lived with us for over 7 years before she passed away, and was pretty much the coolest cat I ever met.

btatro, May 4, 2012
  14. catlover2

violino Well-Known Member

Hi there. I've got two cats - one of them I took from the street next to the place where my mom lives, and the other one from my mom's friend's garden.

violino, May 4, 2012
  15. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I got Mama from my father-in-law. Years ago, we had Mama's daughter Stitches/Sally, but she died unfortunately from kidney failure. I am so glad I got Mama.. she was very standoffish when we first got her but she has grown into being comfortable with us and she is the best cat I've ever had (and that's saying a lot as I have had at least 15 cats in my lifetime).

Belligerent, May 5, 2012
  16. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

Almost all of my cats have found me. They either just show up or a friend asks if I want a kitty. A majority of them have been found wandering the streets as babies or their mom's had abandoned them and I take them in.

steph84, May 6, 2012
  17. catlover2

Byron nelson Active Member

I got my new cat from a rescue. Transportation was pretty expensive as it was pretty long distance. It all went smoothly once every thing was in place. Very nice handling on the trip.
    Byron

Byron nelson, Jun 30, 2021
  18. catlover2

catalone Member

All mine are rescues. I bred Siamese in the UK for decades. Then when I came to Ireland twenty years ago and saw the huge problem with strays and ferals I changed tack
    My oldest is seventeen now.
    When I came out to the island six years ago I had three cats with me. When my dog and one cat died, I took in three more rescues. Then a neglected island cat came seeking food... and then another needy cat was ..... dropped off... here. I have every cat on the island in my care except one. a huge honour. All mine are fixed. So no kittens.
    Oh my yearning for pedigrees.. One of the last three street strays is clearly a large part Oriental.. Wonderful

catalone, Jul 17, 2021
  19. catlover2

Byron nelson Active Member

Nice. Almost all of my pets have come from shelters or rescues. My very first cat was Siamese. I trained him to walk on a leash at a time when cats were thought to be untrainable. Slso rescued a very handsome boxer from a gentleman who was dieing of cancer. It was a male with in cut ears. Beautiful mahogany color. Perfect temperament. My big GSD came from a liter that was probably smuggled from East Germany about a year before the wall came down. The local club did not like the fact that I had a top notch German pedigree. This resulted in my dislike of show dogs, preferring working dogs and their superior structure. I too had pets neutered as I’ve felt that poor breeding has resulted in degradation of health and temperament in pets. My Aussie cam from a rescue from a farm on Oklahoma. She became a good herding dog with untiring drives. My health deteriorated so rather than risk her being dropped off at the local pound if I died. I regimes her to a trainer whom I had worked with for a long time. She is doing fine now. My new cat/kitten came from a rescue. She is just an angel. She too is neutered as I don’t want kittens as I’m just not in position to do proper socialization. Im doing my best to learn cat language. I don’t have the hard core human trainer I had for dog training so I’m going more slowly. Watching signs from all angles. Much like dogs but far more subtle.

I think rescues are great but I don’t like indiscriminate breeding for wants be big dollars. I feel bad for many pet store animals. I’ve seen the trucks and vans pull up full of litters and it’s just disheartening. My new kitty was not expensive but shipping her was expensive. I could have purchased a kitten locally that may have had show papers but I felt something for this kitty that she presented in the only picture I saw of her. All of what I wanted has turned out to be there. She was shaved pretty close so I’m hoping her fur grows back nicely.
    Byron

Byron nelson, Jul 18, 2021
  20. catlover2

catalone Member

Amendment. The only other island cat has died. He was a holyterror who I called Stinkertom after I carelessly went out one day leaving a window open,

My island pair are his son and his grandson, the latter totally inbred and.. awol,,, Been half starved so is obsessed with food.
    To get a picture of what happens on small islands when they do not neuter? BAD; Tory Island GOOD; Cape Clear. I gather here was bad just before I arrived
    They have both responded to affection and regular food - and even purr

catalone, Sep 11, 2021
Ask a Question