When your cat gets sick do you immediately take it to the vet?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GA91, Aug 23, 2012.

1. GA91

GA91 Member

When your cat gets sick, do you immediately take it to the vet? Or do you first try to treat it on your own? I mea,n on the Internet there are websites where you can find thousands of articles written by vets. They tell you what to do when your cat has the symptoms that you see it has.

I always try to treat my cats by myself in order to save some money. Especially if one of my cats has already had the disease in question, because I then know exactly how to treat it. However, if I do not know what to do I always take it to the vet.

GA91, Aug 23, 2012
  2. GA91

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I try to nurse the cat back to health myself, but if my tender loving care doesn't help, then I do take her to the vet. Vet visits are expensive, so I don't immediately go to the vet, but obviously if the cat isn't getting better then she needs to see a vet.

ACSAPA, Aug 23, 2012
  3. GA91

Mystique Well-Known Member

Same here - I would treat my cats myself. It's easy to find ways to nurse your from home, these days, without having to take him or her to the vet right away. I think now I have more confidence in treating my cats on my own.

Mystique, Aug 23, 2012
  4. GA91

nikki Well-Known Member

I cant remember my cats ever being sick honestly. Occasionally they get a little sneeze going on but nothing Ive ever been concerned about.

nikki, Aug 24, 2012
  5. GA91

supergirl Member

I would only give it a few days before I rushed her off to the vet. I'm just a worrier and prefer the piece of mind that comes from going to the vet. It's not a lot of money or effort for a general check up and it's better than having to spend all day worrying myself whether she's okay or not.

supergirl, Aug 24, 2012
  6. GA91

Jessi Well-Known Member

It really depends on what it is. If she were to collapse or stop having seizures and not stop, I would take her to the doctor. She has had issues in the past that we can treat ourselves, though, and I tend to go that route if at all possible. I'll sometimes simply call the vet as well.

Jessi, Aug 24, 2012
  7. GA91

Kaybee517 Member

It depends on the situation. If my cat was sneezing or trying to cough up a hairball I'll just hold out and observe before going to the vet. On the other hand I have had times where I came home and picked up my cat and she meows in pain. Instinctively I call the vet and describe her behavior on the phone and they tell me bring her in asap. Sometimes how fast your respond can mean the difference between life and death.

Kaybee517, Jun 23, 2016
  8. GA91

cluckeyo Active Member

I don't take him immediately. I try to determine how sick he is. And if needed I will take him. He is really a farm cat. So he's pretty tough. I will stay up with him all night to decide if he needs to go to the vet, though.

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
  9. GA91

Novelangel Active Member

Other than the occasional fur ball/vomit event, my three year old cat is pretty healthy, rarely even sneezing and I've never seen her with a cold or even the sniffles. She has never wanted wet cat food, which I think might have something to do with her good health, and only eats dry cat food. From time to time I will give her bits of ham or turkey or tuna. Those are the only types of meat she wants and she will turn down everything else I give her. As a result of her good health, I have never had to take her to the vet for anything other than routine visits. I think if she were to present with something of emergency quality, such as choking on something, I would probably try to help her myself first and then call the vet if I couldn't help her. Every second counts in a situation like that.

Novelangel, Aug 2, 2016
Ask a Question