When you leave your home, do you lock your cats up?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catlover2, Sep 19, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

If you leave your home for the day for work, or for a weekend trip, do you lock your cats up into one room or do they get the run of the house? I happen to think that they should get the run of the house. I mean why be mean to them? My 3 precious cats have the run of the house all day long no matter if I am there or not.

catlover2, Sep 19, 2010
  2. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

Mine have the run of the house and if the weather is OK I leave a window open for them so they can go in and out as they please, especially if it is for a weekend. It is their home too so they can go where they like lol

magickat, Jan 17, 2012
  3. catlover2

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Mine get the run of the house unless there are extenuating circumstances. For example, we went out of town once and our pet sitter could only get there once a day, so we opened the doggie door and locked the cats up in their room.

Now, don't think we were mean to do that. Our cats' room is a finished two-car garage where we store all of our stuff. So they had lots of room to play together and lots of room to get away from each other. They also had lots of stuff to climb on and hide behind. Their litter boxes are usually there, too, we just moved their food and water in there for the time being, too.

Wallie0921, Jan 17, 2012
  4. catlover2

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Mine have the run of the house. Trinity stays in my room though because this is her preference, she was very sick when I first got her off the ACC kill list and had to be separated and I am not sure if she is just the type that prefers solitude or she became accustomed to it. when someone is home the bedroom door is opened and she will venture out for a few minutes at a time then run back to the room but she will chase out any of the other kitty's who try to enter the bedroom. Usually my dog Lady goes with me when I go out, I even take her to work with me unless my son is home. If I am only leaving for a short time and my son is not home she is confined to the kitchen where there is nothing she can chew on and possibly chock on, cabinets all have those baby safety locks and I don't leave anything on the counters, not even the usual things one would have on the counter like the coffee pot or dish drain.

Micheleteresa, Jan 18, 2012
  5. catlover2

Trinity sounds very much like my cat Poppy, she is very solitary and is never happier than when she is on my bed. The other cats run about all over the place, I struggle to keep them out of the basement lol

magickat, Jan 18, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  6. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I let my cat out to do whatever she wants. She normally just sits on her pink pillow in front of her window and sleeps til we come home. She's never done anything bad when I'm gone (that I know of.. lol).

Belligerent, Jan 18, 2012
  7. catlover2

Most of the time my cats are well behaved, but sometimes - like today - they run riot! They have been climbing the blinds, clambering about in my wardrobe and have even had the bin over in the kitchen!!

magickat, Jan 19, 2012
  8. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Oh no.. that sounds awful! LOL. Cats get very upset though.. dogs do the same thing which is why so many people kennel them. It's strange how sensitive animals are, but I guess it's understandable.

Belligerent, Jan 19, 2012
  9. catlover2

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I am retired, so most of the time I am with my 2 cats who are indoor cats only. However when I go away for short times or long vacations, they are NEVER confined...they roam where they want and sleep where they want and play musical beds in their rotations throughout the day. I live in an over 55 mobile home park and luckily have several neighors who are cat owners and we take care of each other's pets on long absences. We feed each other's cats, keep them company for short durations, talk to them, keep their litter boxes clean and try to keep them from being too miffed at being deprived of their owner's presence.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 20, 2012
  10. catlover2

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

My cats get the run of the house at all times even when we are going away and this includes going away for the weekend. I have Booger and Tigger's food and litter box in the utility room so they usually stay in the next room which is the den. Bella prefers to stay most of the time in my bedroom because this is where I kept her when I was bottle feeding her and because her things are in my bathroom, which is next to my bedroom.

I don't let Booger and Tigger outside ever not because I'm being mean but they have never showed any interest in wanting to go outside. They are very skittish and outside scares them. Bella I take out on a leash sometimes when it's not too cold.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 1, 2012
  11. catlover2

Carolinagirl Member

My cat has the run of the entire house. I am home with her most of the time. When I go away she still has the run of the house. My brother comes over to feed her, and clean her litter box when I am away.

Carolinagirl, Feb 17, 2012
  12. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

I would never lock them up, but I do let them roam around as they please. My cats aren't little trouble makers and never break stuff when I'm gone. They are pretty well behaved. Even my wild hyper kitty doesn't get too crazy. I thought he was going to knock our Christmas tree down because he was so fascinated by our ornaments, but he was just curious and poked around it.

steph84, Feb 18, 2012
  13. catlover2

Alli Well-Known Member

My cats can roam anywhere in the house when we go out. They are fairly well behaved, so it isn't a big deal.

Alli, Feb 19, 2012
  14. catlover2

inTHEsane Active Member

Yeah my cats get to roam the house to. I had always had outside cats, so to them it would be almost like a punishment to put them in just one room.
    Some cats will act out if you do that to them. Where as if you let them roam the whole house, they'll just think/know your not their to open the door.
    Also if I had an inside cat, it would be treated the same, because I'd feel bad enough it doesn't get more then the house in the first place.

inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012
  15. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I let my cats have the run of the whole house, too. After I toilet-trained them. Otherwise I would have to pick up after them all over the house. In the most unlikely and unreachable crooks and crannies, too.

Victor Leigh, Feb 26, 2012
  16. catlover2

inTHEsane Active Member

Ohh man that reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I had who had two ferrets and the downstairs/ finished basement in her mothers. Those things use to find corners that we didn't even know existed in that basement. If it wasn't for that and the smell I'd probably love ferrets much like I do cats. So close yet so far. lol.

inTHEsane, Feb 26, 2012
  17. catlover2

Ferrets as pets? That's an interesting idea. Is this a good way to take a ferret for a walk?
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 27, 2012
  18. catlover2

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

No, my cats have the freedom to enjoy the whole house. I have to say that I have been lucky with some really good minded and clean cats. I do not keep them all inside the house all the time, some of them are outside cats.

Wahcashmom, Mar 1, 2012
  19. catlover2

Just curious. Does anyone have a cat door? Or make one specifically for the cats to go in and out? Where I live, I don't need cat doors because the houses are built in such a way that cats can easily get in and out of the houses through the spaces between the roofs and the walls.

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
  20. catlover2

nicola Active Member

We put Sophie in the dining room when we're out.
    It will be nice and cool in there in the summer aswell.

nicola, Mar 16, 2012
Ask a Question