What's Your Healthy Hygienic Routine for Your Cat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bloomsie, May 15, 2015.

1. Bloomsie

Bloomsie Active Member

I know that everyone has their own system. Personally, I clean out the feces every morning and when the cat litter has a bit of discoloration, I know to actually switch the cat litter. My brother, on the other hand, doesn't touch the litter box until about a few days to nearly a week and just renews the entire litter box with new litter. One thing that's important to me is creating a healthy hygienic routine for my cat. He must always be stepping into clean litter and feel comfortable. (My brother is a different story...)

What's your method for keeping your cat's litter box clean and tidy to better their hygiene?

Bloomsie, May 15, 2015
  2. Bloomsie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Well, I like the plastic liners that go into the litter boxes. This makes for an easier clean up. As far as, scooping, usually do this on a daily basis. I am a bit of a germ freak, so I have disposable plastic gloves. I also have a container to store the cat scooper, a little broom and dustpan, too. About once a month or so, I replace these items. Now, when it comes to emptying the litter with a fresh batch, this happens once a week.

I, also, have a couple different cat litter boxes tucked away. I think the key to cat litter boxes is to keep them out of sight, but not out of mind. You know, if you forget about cleaning the litter box, you will soon remember. :p The aroma is not pleasant, at all! Oh yeah, I have pet deodorizer on hand, too.

Herman&Eddie, May 16, 2015
  3. Bloomsie

icekat Active Member

LOL I tried using those neat little plastic liners, but one of my fuzzy little brats dug all the way to the bottom of it, ripped it apart, destroyed it and had cat litter flying everywhere! I decided not to try that again. Now I just scoop every day, and change it every week. I use disposable gloves too. Yuck!

icekat, May 17, 2015
  4. Bloomsie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

;) Sounds like we are two peas in a pod, when it comes to those plastic gloves. It sure is not one of my favorite tasks, when it comes to the responsibility of being a cat owner, simply necessary! :D

Oh, I hear you about the tearing of the liner. Herman did this for awhile, but in this case, perseverance paid off. Thank goodness, she stopped. I think, it was just so new for her and she was too curious.

I am going to make a little funny, that is kinda yucky, but I think pertains. Similar to an apple a day keeps the doctor away, a scoop a day keeps the odor away! :cool:

Herman&Eddie, May 17, 2015
  5. Bloomsie

Trellum Well-Known Member

I clean the little box every night, a few hours before going to bed. I might do it during the day depending on Bob's bowel habits :p I just don't like the idea of having cat feces sitting in the littler box for too long. I'm thinking of switching to a different brand of litter, one that offers better control of odors. Other than that I try to keep the place clean :)

Trellum, May 19, 2015
  6. Bloomsie

ellie Active Member

We buy the big bag of Tidy Cat (I think..yellow bag? my husband buys it lol) and it lasts us a good long while. Tinkerbell is a small cat and not a big eater, plus she spends about half of the day outside in the backyard. The litter box isn't a big issue for us, but we probably change it out more than we need to. I don't like smelly reminders that we have pets lol. Plus, Tink is a little on the prissy side, so if it's too dirty (even if it barely is) she won't use it and will instead come meow at me condescendingly lol.

ellie, May 26, 2015
  7. Bloomsie

erik Well-Known Member

I used to have a hard time scooping out the feces on the cat litter box because I was using a small garden shovel! Thank God for the scooper I got recently with small holes in it that let the sands drop and leaving only the urine chunks and feces in very scoop :). I spray an anti bacterial deodorizer too after cleaning the litter box every morning.

erik, Jun 6, 2015
  8. Bloomsie

Trellum Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good routine. I need to get an anti bacterial deodorizer as well. That sounds like a fine extra barrier.

Trellum, Jun 18, 2015
Ask a Question