What's a good cat litter product and where can I get it?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by erik, Mar 13, 2015.

1. erik

erik Well-Known Member

What's a good cat litter product and where can I get it? I'm not sure if what it is called but I'm referring to the sand or soil that I see in small boxes where the cat instinctively pees and poos..
    I'm looking for something natural without too many chemicals that maybe harmful to the cats and humans too...
    Or can I just do some home made stuff?

erik, Mar 13, 2015
  2. erik

Katt Member

I suppose you could use some regular sand if you want to save up some money, not sure about the smell though.
    I have tried many brands for my cats (whatever was on sale) and I don't think it matters much. I haven't discovered any product that could harm them. However, they do seem to enjoy the ones with smaller grains and not spread them around the whole house.

Katt, Mar 13, 2015
  3. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Oh shoot I've already bought the sands with bigger grains... Anyway I'll experiment with the smaller sands the next time. I can see the cat spreading sand all over the house being a problem..

erik, Mar 14, 2015
  4. erik

Katt Member

Don't worry about it, maybe your cats will act differently. Mine play with the bigger grains, that's why things get so messy.

Katt, Mar 14, 2015
  5. erik

erik Well-Known Member

I had a stray cat that gave birth inside my apartment and I'm going to keep the kittens! She usually hangs around inside but doesn't seem to like using the cat litter box. She goes outside the apartment every once in a while to do her thing... but hopefully I can train the new born kittens.

erik, Mar 15, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  6. erik

Katt Member

Yes, for a cat used to living in the big world may be hard to adapt. When I brought home my cats (one adopted from a shelter and one I found on the street), they instinctively went for the litter box. They were 2 and 6 months old, so I don't think you will have problems with your kittens.

Katt, Mar 15, 2015
    erik likes this.
  7. erik

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

How are you kittens doing? i bet they are growing faster by the day! That is commendable how you stepped out to help out the new mama stray cat! Are you going to keep the new mama? If so, you might think about making sure she does not have more! ;)

How is your cat litter situation working out? Personally, I just buy the cheapest, generic brand that is on the shelf. One thing, we did do when our kittens were younger was to buy a litter box that was not too high in height. This made it easier for them to get in and out.

Herman&Eddie, Apr 12, 2015
  8. erik

erik Well-Known Member

I haven't feed them solid food yet, up to now they still breast feed from their mother but they are getting more and more playful and naughty everyday. The other day I arrived home to see my "welcome" plant decapitated. On the flip side, they are now trained in using the litter box! It's funny to watch them meticulously burying every scent of pee in the litter box :)

erik, Apr 19, 2015
  9. erik

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

:p The first of many plants to be toppled over! On a more serious note, you should make sure your house plants are not poisonous. Pretty soon your kittens will be even more adventurous! Do you have one that is more rambunctious and the leader of the pack?

I hear you about how neat and tidy cats can be when it comes to litter boxes! Thank goodness, right!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 20, 2015
    erik likes this.
Ask a Question