What Vaccines do you give your cat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Scottyxx, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Given that a lot of cats are indoors only, do you vaccinate them against anything?

I do not, mine are not outdoors, and do not come in contact with other cats. I only ever get them dewormed and they are always up to date on their rabies.

What's your preference?

Scottyxx, Sep 12, 2012
  2. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

I vaccinate based on what the vet requires. That's generally just rabies, I think. We de-worm at home, too. The only reason I make sure they're up to date is because if we do have to leave them at a kennel (very rare), then it's required for them to all be caught up.

We got screwed at one point when we had to head out of town for an emergency, was going to leave them at the kennel for the weekend because it was too late to make plans for someone to watch them.... and turns out, shots weren't current. It was late Friday and there was no way to get them to the vet at that point either. It really complicated things for us.

Jessi, Sep 12, 2012
  3. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Yes, we too almost found ourselves in the kennel situation. We were leaving and had no idea who could take them, we worked out they would need the two shots - the initial one, and the booster before they could even go Financially it was a nightmare, and we didn't have enough time to do anything or get them! Luckily we found someone!

As for a weekend, we always leave our kitties home alone all weekend, they love it!

Scottyxx, Sep 14, 2012
  4. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, ours have no problem with a weekend. 2-3 days is easy to leave enough food and water out for them. And the kitty litter will be dirty when we get back, but not so much that they'll start going elsewhere.

Anything longer than that, though, isn't okay for us. When didn't know how long we'd have to stay gone for the emergency. We were hoping only the weekend, but just in case, it was important to find someone else to watch them.

Jessi, Sep 14, 2012
  5. Scottyxx

andrew320 Well-Known Member

We don't vaccinate the boys because there is absolutely no need too. Vaccines are bad enough for human beings with all of the mercury inside of them, so just think about bad they are for cats and dogs. Also, the cats are indoor and are always at home in the apartment. They have strong bodies, they eat right and they don't go outside. So what would be the point?

andrew320, Sep 17, 2012
Ask a Question