What things do you do to help your cats stay active?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Cats tend to be more active when they are young, but when they get older they will probably need help staying active. Does anyone have any ideas that would help cats stay active, whether they are young or old. My cat has diabetes, and I'm trying to think of ways to keep him active.I try to tempt him with snack treats to make him walk back and forth in the living room. I open the window, to help motivate them to keep coming back for the great view. Does anyone else have some ideas to help cats stay active?

Jenny Heart, Apr 25, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Laser pointers and cat nip. ><

Really, even old cats can be tempted by a laser pointer and if he's not feeling playful, catnip might help him along. ;)

Beyond that, so long as his joints are fine, you could do things like putting the food bowl up higher so that he has to jump to get to and from it. It's not much, but every little bit helps. :)

Jessi, Apr 25, 2012
    Jenny Heart likes this.
  3. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Thank you Jessi for your suggestions. I will try putting his food up higher, and see if that helps him. I have found that when he eats catnip treats that his activity level is higher as well. He has diabetes and I must get his energy level up, before complications set in. He's starting to walk more even though he's still hobbling. Thanks again for your tips!

Jenny Heart, Apr 25, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I don't have to do anything to keep my cats active. They are already too active as it is. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they were a little bit less active.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

magickat Well-Known Member

Toys and/or kittens! Even the oldest cats like to play with toys sometimes and introducing a kitten can make them think they are young again :)

magickat, Apr 26, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Let's hope the older cats do not look at those kittens as some kind of bigger rats. That would be disastrous. I have had to keep some new kittens in a cage because the older cats were too rough in playing with them.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

I keep my cat active by playing with him in the morning and in the evening. I also make him work for his treats. I sometimes throw them across the room and make him fetch them.

steph84, Apr 28, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

Same here - I keep Snowy active by playing with her every day. Sometimes, all she wants to do is sleep (which cat does not?), but I will grab her along with her favourite toy and play with her. My sweetheart likes to let her go up and down the stairs by using the strings we bought for her.

Mystique, Apr 30, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

violino Well-Known Member

I use it sometimes. But as it works perfectly for the younger one, the older one doesn't give a damn :confused: She just tried it once or twice at the beginig and then decided it's booooooooooooring and she's not going to chase it, I must be insane, right? Mitra on the other hand loves it sooo much and she knows I took it only by hearing me taking it ;)

violino, May 7, 2012
  10. Jenny Heart

kinser Active Member

Sounds like you have a smart cat, LOL. She's thinking "why the heck do I want to chase something that I can't catch". Will your cat chase a toy on a string? Maybe if there is a payoff, your cat might be more willing to participate!

kinser, May 7, 2012
Ask a Question