What my cat did that concerned me

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

One day my cat tinker had his tongue sticking slightly out of his mouth when I looked at him. I thought he had a stroke or something. He seems find a short time later. Has anyone ever heard of this before happening to any other cat before? The vet was surprised too.

Jenny Heart, Jun 6, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that your vet was surprised considering I've seen it more than once. For example, one of our cats used to have her tongue sticking out just slightly on a regular basis. And with some others, it's not uncommon if they're hot to have it out slightly while grooming, similar to how dogs might pant with their mouths opened. I don't think it's anything to be concerned with unless you start to see other signs.

Jessi, Jun 6, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

My cats tend to sleep with the tip of their tongues out. I thought it must be normal since almost all of my cats have done it. I think it looks cute. :) If my cat was just wondering around with his tongue out but seemed fine I don't think I would be concerned. Maybe he was just having an off day. :D

HappyRocinante, Jun 6, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! These comments all have reassured me alot. I thought it was something serious and now I feel like it must be something normal that cats tend to do some of the time.

Jenny Heart, Jun 6, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

It does make me wonder about your veterinarian still, though, Jenny. I would expect him/her to have run across it more than once or be able to give you some answers other than surprise.

Jessi, Jun 7, 2012
Ask a Question