What kind of kitty litter setup do you have?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Do you use a plain ol' tray with a handheld pooper scooper?

Does the tray have a cover or a door? Do you use those plastic liners that have holes in the bottom so when you pull them out, it leaves the little but pulls out the clumps?

What's your preference?

Jessi, Mar 22, 2012
  2. Jessi

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Bella has just a plain tray. She is so small even though that she is several months old that I try to keep it easy for her to go in and out. Booger and Tigger have a bigger deeper tray with a cover.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 29, 2012
  3. Jessi

nicola Active Member

We have a small pink litter tray for Sophie at the moment.
    We have one in the downstairs toliet and one in the front room.

nicola, Mar 29, 2012
  4. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

Plain old tray with a hand held scooper! Never had any issues with odor or messes.

btatro, Apr 8, 2012
  5. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My 3 cats use a different type of litter now. At the bottom there's a tray that another tray is placed on top of it with holes in it. Then, you open this bag of litter peddlits, and pour the whole bag on top of the area. Then, you clamp the 2 areas in place. The peddlets form some type of protection that helps the urine travel through the peddlets, without making it wet. At the bottom of the tray there's a part where you can put a liner to catch the urine. No more smelling urine. Just change the liners every other day, if you have multiple cats. The only thing I don't like about this system, it can get expensive, The liners are cheaper, than the peddlets.

Jenny Heart, Apr 8, 2012
  6. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I use a plain tray. And a hand-help scooper with holes to pick out the clumps. I have always wondered about the trays with covers. What exactly is the function of the cover?

Victor Leigh, Apr 9, 2012
  7. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

The ones with covers have a filtering sysrem in it for odor control, but mine is different. The litter box i use has a pan at the bottom to catch the urine, when they go on the peddlets. It's a new system, but expensive in my opinion, if you have more than one cat. i like it if it didn't cost as much.

Jenny Heart, Apr 9, 2012
  8. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

The ones with the cover seem to do better at keeping the litter contained, too. There's very little mess because even when they scratch and toss the litter to cover their mess, it stays within the tray and not onto the floor. I find that the odor is a bit better, too, considering it's in the small area instead of spreading throughout the air.

Jessi, Apr 11, 2012
  9. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have two litter boxes. One out in our den and one in the main house. Both are plain litter boxes with a handheld pooper scooper. I wish I could find one with trays at the bttom. I did try to use liner bags, but my cats would just scratch them up and it was a waste of money. I like using clay litter.

steph84, Apr 12, 2012
  10. Jessi

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

We have three litter boxes, since we have three cats. Two are the box kind with an opening and one is just tray kind. The tray one is in the basement, in case they have to go when they do manage to get down there. Our cats do like to have a lot of privacy when they do their business. We use the scoop-able type of litter and we just scoop out the big chunks every week. We clean the entire litter boxes monthly. We don't have to clean the basement one as often though because only one of the cats goes down there often and usually comes right back up or sleeps down there.

dkramarczyk, Apr 12, 2012
Ask a Question