What kind of food do you buy for your cats?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Anna T, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Anna T

Anna T Active Member

I've got some finicky cats! They only like certain brands. They absolutely love Friskies, that's their fave. Anything less expensive than that is unacceptable (to them) :)

Also, do you wet food, dry food, or a mix of both? I normally just get the dry because the wet seems to give my cats tummy problems if they eat it for too many days on end.

Anna T, Apr 21, 2012
  2. Anna T

Jessi Well-Known Member

I buy Purina Hair Ball Control formula. They only get dry because we had issues with one of them getting on the table for human food, even though she'd never been fed any, and the vet said it was because she was eating canned food. When we changed it to dry food, we never had an issue again. We used to buy Science Diet dry food, too, which would be my preference, but it's no longer sold in the area.

Jessi, Apr 22, 2012
  3. Anna T

Anna T Active Member

Thanks. We don't have issues with hair balls since all my cats are short-haired, but when I had a long-haired cat we did. I have heard good things about the Purina One cat food brands. My aunt's cat at one point began losing her hair. She switched her food (at the vet's suggestion) to Purine One and it all grew back.

Anna T, Apr 22, 2012
  4. Anna T

magickat Well-Known Member

I give my cats a mixture of wet and dry food as some prefer one type and some the other. They are not fussy about brand which is good for me and my wallet!

magickat, Apr 22, 2012
  5. Anna T

Anna T Active Member

Yeah, I really wish that mine weren't so fussy about it! There are some works when I'd really like to buy the cheaper food because of our budget being tight (and some weeks I have to anyway), but my cats don't like it :(

Anna T, Apr 23, 2012
  6. Anna T

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My cats used to love cheaper brands of cat food, but they would develop health problems a few years afterwards. Now, I feed them Blues cat food, and it has helped the health of our cats. One has diabeties, and that's when I changed brands. I've learned alot about cat foods with by products in them, and now prefer more natural food choices.

Jenny Heart, Apr 24, 2012
  7. Anna T

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I have been feeding my cats 9Lives since I got them. They get a mixture of wet and dry, and they get treats after Mouth takes his medicine to get the taste out of his mouth.

I have been considering changing their foods to see if I can get Mouth's asthma to clear up. I just wish the better foods like Blue and Science Diet weren't so expensive, but if I can get my cat asthma to get better I won't have to spend so much on his medicine.

HappyRocinante, May 9, 2012
  8. Anna T

btatro Well-Known Member

It's funny how cats are. My cats turn their nose up at anything more expensive I try to get for them. They eat the cheapest brand, an off brand. I tried to be "nice" and get them something more fancy (and possibly more healthy?) and they just would not eat!

btatro, May 29, 2012
  9. Anna T

Epicfied Well-Known Member

We usually get Purina of some sort. It's always dry food. I'm pretty sure at some point we had an issue with one of the cats wanting table food.
    Our cats only get wet food on Christmas as a special treat. They have gotten accustomed to this and will wait for it, knowing they'll get some.

Epicfied, May 29, 2012
  10. Anna T

Ja'cobeC Member

I been using 9Lives for a about a year now. My cats love it so much, I'm pretty sure yours would love it also. I was thinking about switch to a different brand but I don't know yet.

Ja'cobeC, May 30, 2012
  11. Anna T

violino Well-Known Member

There's no food I've got last time in a shop so I had to choose for them a new one, the same brand but a new flavour. I wonder if they'll eat it.. It's gonna be 7kg so they have no other choice! And if they don't like it we'll have a battle :p

violino, Jun 26, 2012
Ask a Question