What is the strangest thing your cat loves to eat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Viola, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Viola

Viola Member

When we got our first cat 15 years ago, we were newbies, learning everything from scratch. We quickly learned that they would go beserk for little bits of fish or chicken, but were completely shocked when one of our cats decided he loved cantaloupe. We found him eating a piece that had been dropped on the floor and after that, he would circle around your ankles and meow whenever he smelled it. What kinds of strange things do your cats eat?

Viola, Sep 15, 2012
  2. Viola

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats all time favourite food is cream cheese! He once ate a full tub of it behind my back, haha! It's pretty bad for him since cats are (supposed to be) lactose intolerant.

Scottyxx, Sep 17, 2012
  3. Viola

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Zod, my current cat, likes to eat houmous, which is odd because it contains lemon juice. Cats don't usually LIKE lemon juice. That's not the weirdest one by far, however. I had a rescue cat that spent the first five years of his life as a stray. Consequently, he would eat out of bins, and forage for things that weren't necessarily meat or fish related. We discovered the level of how nuts he was for veggies whilst my mum was making a salad, alongside a potato salad for lunch.

Arthur (the name of said adopted stray cat) went absolutely NUTS for potato peelings. He was purring and nomming like they were the best thing he'd ever tasted. We were surprised and very amused, all at the same time. He then helped himself to a slice of cucumber, hooking it with one of his claws, and chewing it until he could swallow it properly. We decided to see what else he liked, so we tried him with mushroom, tomato, and a piece of bell pepper. He wasn't into the pepper so much, but he purred over the mushroom like he did the potato. We realised that a lot of these veggies and salad items contain a lot of water, so we figured it was his way of making sure he got fed and watered all at the same time.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
  4. Viola

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our cats won't eat anything out of the ordinary. But my friends cat will eat entire slices of lunchmeat practically in one bite. She had some slices of lunchmeat that were just past the expiration date, and her kids started tossing them at the cat. The cat was practically inhaling them without even chewing. I never saw a cat eat like that before.

OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012
  5. Viola

Houmous is weird! Especially because of the garlic in it, and the fact it can kill kitties! You have a little dare devil on your hands!

Scottyxx, Sep 18, 2012
  6. Viola

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Garlic is actually only fatal in large quantities. In small doses, it's a very effective flea repellant, which means you'd be saving a LOT of money not paying for expensive flea treatments, plus giving all the health benefits of garlic to the cat itself. Garlic is ok for cats AND dogs, as long as it's in smaller doses, and not like an entire bulb of garlic.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 19, 2012
  7. Viola

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

Ava will eat everything....Cake..lettice..soup..we had a pizza once and she ate the peppers and the pineapple instead of the meat...ice cream and her fav is melted cheese. But she will eat everything.

Leroy will only tuch meat and fish....his fav is prawns.

Leroy and Ava, Sep 21, 2012
  8. Viola

andrew320 Well-Known Member

Our one cat, Max, a nine-year-old Tabby, hates all kinds of human food...except for margarine or butter. He won't eat anything else but that. Our other boy, Batman, a four-year-old Havana, loves every kind of human food, except for a couple of veggies, like carrots, broccoli and others.

andrew320, Sep 24, 2012
  9. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

Peas! One of them loves chasing frozen peas across the floor and then eating them when she 'catches' her prey. It's ridiculous to watch, but so cute.

Jessi, Sep 24, 2012
  10. Viola

Veggies ;) good boy ..have you 5aday =] Ava likes Butter or Margarine too =]

awww and I bet it's lovely to see Jessi =]

Leroy and Ava, Sep 25, 2012
  11. Viola

So last night we had Chinese food, pretty sure it was all packed up and in the fridge, but this morning, I open the bedroom door and find one little nugget of sesame chicken laying on the floor, the batter munched off......these guys are crazy!

Scottyxx, Sep 25, 2012
  12. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

It is!

I wish I had a video of it. It's been a while since we've given her peas, so maybe I'll try again. This time, I should really record some of it so you guys can see.

Jessi, Sep 25, 2012
  13. Viola

Leroy loves chinese he likes king prawns!! I don't eat meat the only meat I eat is chicken and the rest is all fish and I do alot of exersise too.

Ava likes Icecubes in her water she will ask for them too ;P Ava is more for Pizza she likes the melted cheese and everything else on it.

Rember when Leroy was little and I had cooked a chicken dinner and the chicken was on the side and was some left over chicken on it.....you've got this tinny little Leroy ripping at the chicken like a savage hahaha and the chicken was bigger than him:D.

Leroy and Ava, Sep 25, 2012
  14. Viola

steph84 Well-Known Member

My new kitty Sandy just got into a Doritos bag and ate who knows how many Doritos before we realized what the crunching sound from the kitchen was. She was on the counter munching away. She is a silly billy kitty.

steph84, Sep 26, 2012
  15. Viola

Awww in the Doritos bag how sweet:)

Leroy and Ava, Sep 27, 2012
  16. Viola

I cannot leave any food out as these guys eat it! Crazy!! Steph84 I had a similar experience with a bag of Tortilla wraps, I come into the kitchen to see them playing Frisbee with the wraps! I was mad, but all I could do was laugh!

Scottyxx, Sep 27, 2012
  17. Viola

Hahaha . Si made a samwitch ones and put some meat in it....left it to go and get a drink...came back and bit in it and was like...ehh did I put meat in thato_O then Leroy is sat there licking his lips .

Leroy and Ava, Sep 27, 2012
  18. Viola

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I've had cats that are vegetarian.... I swear I never got that cat to eat fish, red meat, poultry... I tried everything and she would take the brocolli and carrots before the meat any day. It was a little strange and concerning...

The other cat, this one's sister loved to eat ANYTHING. The best example I have is when we freaked out because my younger cousin left her unattended and had a bowl of syrup out... there was maybe like 60 mL in the bowl. We came back... and it was perhaps 2 mL left.

We didn't believe it at first, but there was no other explaination.

I watched her like a hawk, somewhere around a couple of hours later we got our confirmation on where the syrup went. It came righth back up. Poor baby...

It freightened me so much I made sure to never leave anything like that out again to say the least.

QuatreHiead, Sep 29, 2012
  19. Viola

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

My two cats are fairly normal when it comes to food or things they like to eat but my parents have a cat that loves oranges (as well as a ton of other people food). They discovered this when they put orange peels in their potted plants as a way to keep the cats away from the plants and to stop them from eating them and usually this works. However, with one of their cats she actually ignored the plants and took the orange peels out and started gnawing on them! She also loves cereal and lettuce!

msmonkeyfeet, Oct 3, 2012
  20. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh my, that would be scary. That's a lot of sugar. o_O

I'm glad she was okay after. I can't imagine how her tummy must have felt that entire time, though. She had to have been miserable.

Jessi, Oct 3, 2012
Ask a Question