What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Trellum, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hello there fellow cat owners! I was wondering if any of you knew what it means when a cat rubs himself/herself against something? This is a behaviour that really puzzles me! Because I've noticed my cat likes to do that when he sees me busy working in the garden with my plant pots, he gets a bit upset because I don't pay him any attention so he starts rubbing himself against the plant pots. He also does that when he first sees me after a couple of hours! He rubs his body against my legs. Is this some sort of greeting or ''I missed you''?

Trellum, Sep 29, 2013
  2. Trellum

steph84 Well-Known Member

Hi Trellum. I always thought it was my cat's way of saying that he loved me, but recently found at that cats have scent glands on their backs and are actually "marking" you and the things in your garden. Your cat is being territorial and is saying "These things are mine" so that when other cats come into your yard, they know to stay away.

steph84, Oct 10, 2013
  3. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hehehe! Wow!!!! So that's why he does that as soon as I get home... yikes! I don't think I'll be able to ever grow my geraniums then, he just keeps rubbing himself against them very often. One would think that marking them once would be enough :D Oh well, it's the cat or the garden... I'll have to pick the cat, I mean... who wouldn't?

Trellum, Oct 13, 2013
Ask a Question