What does "meow" mean?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Aug 28, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  2. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Yes, that sounds about right. My cat Dolores usually has the appropriate facial expression for the "go away" one ,so her pie chart would be half blue.
    This is pretty funny. Thank you for sharing.

ACSAPA, Aug 31, 2012
  3. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

"Meow?"

Why that's the sound cats make to fool people into thinking that cats communicate by sound. All cats know that they communicate by telepathy.

Victor Leigh, Sep 1, 2012
  4. Jessi

Lilly&May Member

I do not believe my cats have ever said I love you. I feel like a meow is always a demand for something or an expression of their dislike for something. hahaha But the chart made me laugh.

Lilly&May, May 31, 2013
    jules likes this.
  5. Jessi

TheBrit Member

My long haired, black and white feral I'm sure used to speak to me. He's disappeared, just didn't turn up in the morning for his feed. I hope he has just taken up residence elsewhere and is ok. There are some real horror stories out here as to why cats suddenly disappear which I do not like to dwell on.

From when he first moved in he would look at me and meow, when I spoke back to him he would continue meowing. More often than not it was for food.

However, when winter arrived I started closing the apartment door. The cats were quite happy climbing the first floor to my balcony but didn't like going down backwards. In a short space of time "Blacky" learnt to come up to me and meow. I'd ask him if he wanted to go out and walk to the door and open it. Most times this was right and away he went until he got hungry.Occasionally though I got it wrong, he would watch me open the door and when I'd say come on Blacky would just sit down and watch me. Usually it was food lol.

TheBrit, Jun 2, 2013
  6. Jessi

jules Active Member

My cat does not really meow unless it is to voice its displeasure or seek attention from us. Usually, it likes to be alone but every now and then, it meows as it makes its way into our laps and settle there comfortably.

jules, Jun 2, 2013
  7. Jessi

Epicfied Well-Known Member

This seems like a perfect explanation of meow. Even for the good ones. ):

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
  8. Jessi

mariposa Well-Known Member

Cute... but when it comes to our cat, I'd have to switch around the purple and yellow pie slices. It seems that she's more interested in eating than pretty much anything else.

I'm still learning what the different sounds mean that she makes... there are so many of them!

mariposa, Jun 6, 2013
  9. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cats meow when they are hungry. They usually just give me a cute look and I know to feed them, but if I am taking my sweet time then they start to meow. I take it as them saying, "Feed me now! Get off of the internet and feed me now!"

steph84, Jun 13, 2013
  10. Jessi

Jezebella Member

Interesting fact...feral cats don't really meow. It's a behavior that cats learn get the humans to take care of them. An indoor cat will often meow while their owner is on the phone. They know that when people talk they take turns. Since they can't see anyone else in the room they assume the responsibility for the other half of the conversation falls on them.

Jezebella, Jul 20, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  11. Jessi

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I never knew/though of that. Our oldest cat would cry a lot when Jessi was off to college.
    We've actually set down the phone for her before and let Jessi talk to Pepsi over the phone.

Epicfied, Jul 23, 2013
  12. Jessi

Jezebella Member

I tihnk my cat used to live with a nagging person because when I come through the door that is for sure the conversation she is imitating. "Where have you been? It's 6:05 and I prefer to eat at exactly 6:00."

Jezebella, Jul 23, 2013
  13. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

That is so freaking cute. Your cat must be pretty intelligent to mimic human nagging. Aww. I love that story. I can imagine the cat looking at you disapprovingly for being late with dinner.

ACSAPA, Jul 29, 2013
  14. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

For Pussington Meow means "Mummy, why are you not looking at me?" followed by "LOOK AT ME" "ME" "MEEEE!!!!" for Bandit it is "Where Are you?" I then shout Bandit I am here, and he comes running along quite happy no more meowing!

Scottyxx, Aug 21, 2013
  15. Jessi

Believeingsomething New Member

My older cats meow when they are hungry or thirsty. When kitty-litter training, kittens will often meow when they are ready to go and are usually roaming around the baseboards of your house. That's a sure sign to pick up your baby furry friend and gently place them into the kitty litter.

A little tip to make it easier for the little guys to begin with, is to use a short tray like a pie tin or something not much taller than an inch or so. They need to be able to find the and if it is taller than they are, that could prove to make it a little too difficult for the wee ones.

Believeingsomething, Aug 22, 2013
  16. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahaha, my cat only meows when he first sees me. If he's in the garden lying down on a plant pot, he will start meowing, as saying: ''Hey, I thought you were gone, when are you feeding me?'' Lol, sometimes I think my cat sees me as his pet :p I can't stop loving him tho, that's just impossible!

Trellum, Oct 1, 2013
Ask a Question