What do you do when your cat is feeling down?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cecejailer, Jun 30, 2016.

1. cecejailer

cecejailer Member

I'm currently cat-sitting for my aunt and her cat doesn't seem to be adapting very well to the new scenario. It hasn't even tried socializing with my cat (even though my cat tried to play with her). What can I do so this cat will feel welcome and secure?

cecejailer, Jun 30, 2016
  2. cecejailer

cluckeyo Active Member

My cat once at a poisoned mouse. He became very, very sick. I thought he wasn't gonna make it. I stayed awake with him 5 nights and kept a check on him, talked to him, baby talked him and sang to him.He finally pulled through that 5th night and he came to me and nuzzled me first thing. He used to be very aloof, but since this incident he is an extremely affectionate cat.

cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016
  3. cecejailer

Valerie Active Member

Usually when I encounter a cat that isn't feeling well or is not handling a situation very well, I simply make myself emotionally available. In other words, I let the cat take the teenager route of "leave me alone until I'm ready to talk." Use body language when the cat is within view that is open and welcoming, but don't make any advancements that the cat might read as intimidating or too quick.

If the cat is one of my babies and is hurting or sad, then I comfort them as they'd comfort me in times of stress. I give them massages, treat them to a good meal if they're hungry, and keep them warm if they're cold. Kindness is the same between all species.

Valerie, Jul 1, 2016
  4. cecejailer

casey84 Active Member

Are you cat sitting at your aunt's house, or have you brought her cat to your house?

Our cat usually feels more secure when he's in his own environment - but I think things like their own bed, blankets that smell like home, their own toys...maybe some yummy treats?

I know when my inlaws mind my cat at their house, we always pack special treats that are our cats favorite - so that he feels more like he's on a vacation than somewhere scary that isn't his home!

casey84, Jul 1, 2016
  5. cecejailer

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

When my cat is feeling down I like to give them extra attention and special treats. You could also buy the cat some toys if they like to play. Not all cats like toys. I just find letting them snuggle with you helps a great deal. Some cats prefer to be alone though. Each cat is different in personality so what works for one cat may or may not work for another.

Susan Brown, Jul 8, 2016
  6. cecejailer

Novelangel Active Member

One thing that often works for my cat is a special treat. Her favorites are tuna and catnip. If she looks bored, or unhappy, I'll get out some of her dried catnip and spread it over a small spot on the floor. Yeah, she makes a mess with it, but it can be easily cleaned up later and it makes her happy again. I don't give her catnip and tuna every day, only as special treats and that makes them more fun for her when she gets them. She also has a favorite toy that she will ask for by reaching for the spot where it is kept. I will get it out and play with her using that toy. I have to keep it put away because otherwise she would either chew it up or hide it somewhere and we'd never be able to play with it again.

Novelangel, Jul 8, 2016
  7. cecejailer

GeeTee Member

I'd have to say first assess the cat to see if it just wants some alone time. I think that sometimes like us humans cats and dogs just want to be by themselves and not be bothered. Sometimes scratching between the ears and giving it a tummy rub works, but there are times you'll get swiped and growled at, as if they're saying, "I'm warning you. Don't touch me!" What can you do then :)? A treat maybe?

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  8. cecejailer

ProNine Member

Cats in general are social animals. One of the best ways is to make them feel better is to simply play with them! Sometimes I might try to play a lighter version of catch with a ball of yarn. Another thing is playing with a stick with plush toys attached to it. Even sometimes, I might just sit with my cat and watch a movie. You really just have to give the little fellow some attention and they will feel much more comfortable and their mood will pickup.

ProNine, Jul 8, 2016
  9. cecejailer

cluckeyo Active Member

My cat lets me know when he needs a hug. He has to share the house with a bossy chihuahua. Sometimes he feels left out, as she won't lay with him and he is naturally a loner anyway. But most mornings he comes to me and rests his paws on the seat of my chair and asks me to please pet him. And so, of course, I do!

cluckeyo, Jul 27, 2016
  10. cecejailer

AnnaBanana Member

When I can see that may cat is feeling down, I try to drop everything I'm doing for around ten minutes and devote my attention solely to my cat. I honestly believe cats will know if they are down the list of priorities, and I'm sure it couldn't be a very good feeling. I think it is important to be able to stop, drop everything, and just love on your cat for a small amount of time, if possible.

AnnaBanana, Jul 27, 2016
Ask a Question