Wet or dry food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

What do you feed your cats wet food or dry food?

I pretty much only feed our cats dry food and occasionally feed them the canned wet food for a treat.

Does anyone know what is best? Both? One or the other?

My cats love the canned and they gobble it up immediately! But I must admit, it smells terrible. And it tends to smell up the litter box more than the dry food does.

jowjo5, Mar 12, 2013
  2. jowjo5

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Recently , I've been feeding my cat and the small, yappy dog, dry foods.
    I used to mix wet food with my cat's dry food to entice her to eat the dry food.
    But lately we've had an ant problem and I noticed that ants are not attracted to the pet bowls at all if they only have dry food in them. So the dry food can actually sit there, untouched by critters until the pets are ready to eat.

ACSAPA, Mar 12, 2013
  3. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

We feed ours dry food.

The reason? Years ago, when my oldest cat was a young adult (She's nearly 13 now, so that would've been probably a decade ago), she started jumping up on the dinner table and begging for human food regularly. It wasn't like her and no matter what we did to try to make her stop, she kept doing it anyway.

Finally, we asked our vet and she said to switch her off wet food. It's apparently common for those eating wet food to also be more interested in human food. We switched her to dry food and never had an issue again.

Jessi, Mar 12, 2013
  4. jowjo5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Wet and dry for my fluff balls!

Here's why:

I give them a high quality wet food, grain free, low fat, all that jazz, to stop them from being dehydrated. I mix it with water as well, to make sure they get enough water. Also, if Bandit is feeling sick, I can easily mix mashed pumpkin into the wet food with water.

I give them a nice quality dry food, grain free etc, which i leave out all day for them to nibble on so they never get hungry. The dry food also has a higher fibre content so that help's Bandit and his dodgy colon.

They are crazy for the wet food, and will devour it, but they also love the dry so its win win.

As for taking human food, if we eat at the dining table they will not jump up, but will watch every single bite, but if we sit at the tv table, which is a low table, they jump on it, watch us, and sometimes try and grab the food...

Scottyxx, Mar 12, 2013
  5. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I wouldn't have thought to do it myself, but I do keep pumpkin on hand and use it in our own dishes regularly.

I do give mine wet food about twice a year. It's the only way I can get my cat to take medicine is by mixing the powder into the gravy of wet food (she won't eat the meaty portion any more...only the gravy). I buy her some for Christmas, too, because I know how much she loves it. It's definitely only a treat, though (or rather, a treat + medicine carrier).

Jessi, Mar 13, 2013
  6. jowjo5

My guys go crazy for it, but only when I mix it with water! My boyfriend just splodges a big lump out onto the plate for them and they eat it..but they take ALL DAY. I think it must be the "Gravy". Not that it has gravy, but I think the lickable texture of it once I make it into a soup is what they love more than the food itself.

I got them a purina one which was more chunks in gravy, and my goodness they went crazy for it.

Scottyxx, Mar 13, 2013
  7. jowjo5

steph84 Well-Known Member

I tend to give them more dry food than wet food, but I do mix half of a can with their dry food and they go wild. I read that cats don't get enough water every day so I try to hydrate them this way.

steph84, Mar 14, 2013
  8. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's my kitty's favorite. She still won't eat all of the chunks, but she's more likely to. She much prefers the 'gravy', so I get the kind in the little pouches now instead of the cans that only have a little bit.

Jessi, Mar 14, 2013
  9. jowjo5

Yeah I can imagine mine going wild for the pouch / gravy ones, I think they just like the easiness of eating! They can just lap it up, no effort required!

Scottyxx, Mar 15, 2013
  10. jowjo5

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob loves dry food, but he also loves wet food. I give him wet food as a treat only and he loves that, because I think if I gave him the wet food more often he would get very bored of it (I tried doing that once and he indeed seemed to be getting really bored of it). That's why I stick to giving him dry food now :)

Trellum, Mar 10, 2014
Ask a Question